Danube Cycle Path - comfortable
A leisurely bike ride to Vienna.
- 12 Days / 11 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane, or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau - the town of three rivers, which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
Hotel (example) Schärding / Passau:
Today you will cycle from Schärding along the river Inn to Passau, where the Inn joins the Danube. On the Danube cycle path you will cross the upper Danube valley and pass the town Engelhartszell with its impressive abbey church from Engelszell monastery. Then, you will cycle via Niederranna and approach today’s destination, the “Schlögen bend“. Here, the second largest river in Europe is forced by the granite of the Bohemian Massif into a unique 180° turn. You will have time to watch this natural phenomenon during a ferry ride to the other side of the river, where you will find your hotel.
Today you cycle through the green area of the Eferdinger Becken (basin) via Aschach, Ottensheim, and Wilhering to the Upper Austrian capital Linz. Following the motto, “In Linz beginnt’s” (“It starts in Linz”), you can begin your city tour in one of the many restaurants in the historic old town. Further highlights of the European culture capital of 2009 are the magnificent views from the Pöstlingberg or a stroll along the Danube.
For a change, you will not be cycling along the edge of the river Danube today. Instead you will be going to St. Florian (Augustinian Canons) and Enns. In Enns, you will visit the town square with its 60 meter high city tower, the landmark of Austria’s oldest city. After that you will continue your journey to today’s destination.
Today, you will again cycle along the Danube on your way to the beautiful baroque town, Grein. Here, you will have the opportunity to get an impression of the oldest still performing city theatre in Austria. Additionally, you can visit the maritime museum or Greinburg castle. From today’s destination Maria Taferl, you can enjoy a wonderful view of the beautiful blue Danube!
In Melk, you should stop briefly to look up to ensure that you do not miss out on seeing the beautiful Melk abbey, which towers above the Danube. As soon as you have left the city behind you, you will cycle into the landscape of the Wachau region where you will be enchanted by the atmosphere of the typical fruit orchards and vineyards. Today, we will organise a wine tasting event for you, which is a must-do whilst visiting the Wachau region!
On the seventh day, you can relax with a walk through the wine villages of Spitz, Weißenkirchen and/or Dürnstein. Get to know the beauty and hospitality of the Wachau, which has made this region so famous.You should enjoy every moment.
Today, you will cycle past the 1,000-year-old city of Krems to the Roman town of Tulln. Here, you can once again enjoy the tranquility and culture (e.g. with a visit to the Egon Schiele museum) of the rural area before you will get to the Danube's metropolis, Vienna.
Nice and relaxed you will arrive at the Danube's metropolis, Vienna. You can check-in to your room at a cosy wine tavern in the outskirts of Vienna. “Those who have never experienced or who recently haven’t had the time to enjoy real, genuine Viennese tavern atmosphere will feel at home with us. For all guests with a heart for Vienna and a love for nature, we have preserved our beautiful, natural wine tavern gardens.” – This is how the Viennese wine taverns, which you will get to know more closely in the next days, introduce themselves. Their original Viennese dishes accompanied by fine wines from their own vineyards will perfectly round off your day's cycling!
A day in Vienna offers many opportunities to explore this city of Waltz. A well-developed network of bike paths will lead you to the city's attractions. Before returning to your host in the north of Vienna, you should cycle via the Danube Island, the oasis for relaxation of the city of millions, where the “Copa Cagrana” and numerous other beach bars with relaxing music invite you to a cocktail at their “sandy beach”. On request, we can organise a guided sightseeing tour by bike for you.
Today you explore a wine region located to the north of Vienna. At 13 stations, the most beautiful legends of the region are told (e.g. The Pied Piper of Korneuburg). A stop at a wine tavern completes the cycling day and provides an opportunity to experience the real Viennese charm.
Flat or slightly downhill along the Danube. Well-built bike path that is off-road for almost all of the way. Minor roads make up only very short sections of this route – the Danube bike path is a perfect cycle path.
Category A: 3***- and 4****-hotels
Category B: 3***-hotels and inns, at Linz and Vienna 4****-hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, Frensh) with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1 ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- 1 wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer with van from Vienna, daily in the afternoon. Costs € 59 per person, bike included, reservation necessary, payable at the time
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Schärding and Passau train station
- Munich and Vienna airport
- Schärding: Free public car park on the Eurobike premises directly on the cycle path.
- Passau: Public car park approx. € 35 per week, no reservation possible/necessary
- Good train connections between Vienna and Schärding/Passau
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- When booking, please inform us about where you wish to arrive
- Weather warranty/Spring and autumn special: Tour bookings with arrival within season 1 can be rebooked free of charge up to 5 working days prior to arrival in case of bad weather