Danube Cycle Path - comfortable
A leisurely bike ride to Vienna.
- 10 Days / 9 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane, or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau - the town of three rivers, which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
Today, you will cycle from Schärding along the river Inn to Passau, where the Inn joins the Danube. On the Danube cycle path you will cross the upper Danube valley and pass the town Engelhartszell with its impressive abbey church from Engelszell monastery. Then, you will cycle via Niederranna and approach today’s destination, the “Schlögen bend“. Here, the second largest river in Europe is forced by the granite of the Bohemian Massif into a unique 180° turn. You will have time to watch this natural phenomenon during a ferry ride to the other side of the river, where you will find your hotel.
You will cycle through the green area of the Eferdinger Becken (basin) via Aschach, Ottensheim, and Wilhering to the Upper Austrian capital Linz. Following the motto, “In Linz beginnt’s” (“It starts in Linz”) you can begin your city tour in one of the many restaurants in the historic old town. Further highlights of the European culture capital of 2009 are the magnificent views that you get from the Pöstlingberg and a stroll along the Danube.
On the fourth day, you will take a little detour away from the river's edge so that you can visit St. Florian (an Augustinian monastery) and then Enns. In Enns you can go to the town square with its 60 metre town tower, the landmark of the oldest town in Austria or you can visit the archaeological collection in the municipal museum Lauriacum. Later you will continue your journey to today’s destination.
Today, you will cycle alongside the river Danube again whilst cycling to the beautiful baroque town, Grein. Once there, you will have the opportunity to get an impression of the oldest still performing city theatre in Austria. Additionally, you can visit the maritime museum or Greinburg castle. From today’s destination Maria Taferl, you can enjoy a wonderful view of the beautiful blue Danube!
In Melk, you should stop briefly and look up – otherwise you may miss the beautiful Melk abbey, which towers above the Danube. As soon as you have left the city behind you, you will cycle into the landscape of the Wachau region where you will be enchanted by the atmosphere of the typical fruit orchards and vineyards. Today, we will organise a wine tasting event for you, which is a must during a visit to the Wachau region.
On the seventh day, you can relax whilst walking through the wine villages of Spitz, Weißenkirchen and/or Dürnstein. Get to know the beauty and hospitality of the Wachau, which are two of the characteristics that have made this region so famous. You can truly enjoy every moment of every day here.
Today, you will cycle past the 1,000-year-old city of Krems on your way to the Roman town of Tulln. Here, you can once again enjoy the tranquility and culture (e.g. with a visit to the Egon Schiele museum) of the rural area before you will get to the Danube metropolis of Vienna.
The final kilometres of your bike tour will be a relaxed trip to the Danube's metropolis, Vienna. As soon as you arrive, you can check-in to your room and then enjoy all the amenities of the city for the rest of the day. Treat yourself to a Viennese-style Americano coffee and a piece of the famous Sachertorte cake in one of Vienna’s typical coffee houses. Take a stroll along Vienna’s Parade shopping street, along Mariahilfer Strasse, visit St Stephen’s Cathedral or see the main sights and take a trip in one of the famous Fiaker cabs.
Flat or slightly downhill route along the river Danube. Well-built cycle path that is almost always off-road. Minor roads make up only a very short part of the route – the Danube cycle path couldn't be any more perfect!
Category A: 4****- and 3***-hotels
Category B: 3***-hotels and inns, Linz and Vienna 4****-hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, Frensh) with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1x ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- 1x wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer with van from Vienna, daily in the afternoon. Costs € 55 per person, bike included, reservation necessary, payable at the time
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Schärding and Passau train station
- Munich and Vienna airport
- Schärding: Free public car park on the Eurobike premises directly on the cycle path.
- Passau: Public car park approx. € 35 per week, no reservation possible/necessary
- Good train connections between Vienna and Schärding/Passau
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- When booking, please inform us about where you wish to arrive
- Weather warranty/Spring and autumn special: Tour bookings with arrival within season 1 can be rebooked free of charge up to 5 working days prior to arrival in case of bad weather
This tour has 1 more variation
Hotel Biedermeier Hof
Featuring free WiFi and a sun terrace, Hotel Biedermeier Hof offers pet-friendly accommodation in Schärding, 15 km from Bad Füssing. There is a bowling alley on site and guests can enjoy the on-site bar. Free private parking is available on site.
Diamond City Hotel
WELCOME AT DIAMOND CITY HOTEL
Tullns unique well-being residence