Amsterdam - Bruges, MS Magnifique III
By bike and boat from Amsterdam to Bruges
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Embark the boat and check-in at 1pm. The crew will give you a warm welcome. At about 2pm, the MS Magnifique III will depart from Amsterdam for Vianen, a small fortified village on the Lek River. Once you get handed out your rental bikes, you can enjoy a short first test ride through the surrounding area.
After breakfast you will cycle along a beautiful route to Schoonhoven, which gets nicknamed Zilverstad (Silver City). This city has been renowned for its talented silver smiths since the 17th Century. As you continue to cycle along the Lek River you will pass through the Alblasserwaard region to Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 large windmills – one of which you can visit . They have a UNESCO cultural heritage listing. From nearby Alblasserdam you will take the “Waterbus” (not included approx. €4 per person). It is a fast ferry that will take you and your bike you in approx. 10 minutes to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland.
As you enjoy your breakfast, the MS Magnifique III will sail to Willemstadt where you will start your day’s cycling.
Attractions today include the beautiful “Wouwse Plantage” forest, the fortress town of Bergen op Zoom and the impressive Kreekrak lock. In the afternoon, you will once again board the MS Magnifique, which will sail to the port
city of Antwerp that is situated on the river Schelde. Antwerp is famous for handling up to 80% of the world's rough diamond. It is a city with a long list of attractions including the City Hall (one of several majestic buildings
constructed during the Renaissance period), the historical City Square, the Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. After dinner there is time to visit the beautiful old city centre.
This morning you will cycle out of Antwerp along a picturesque section of the Schelde River to either St. Amands or Dendermonde – depending on the tides - your home for the night. The landscape around the Schelde is magnificent. It is without a doubt one of the best natural highlights on this tour.
Today you will continue to follow the river Schelde to Ghent where the MS Magnifique III will moor for the night at a lock in the suburb of Merelbeke. Ghent is a lively university city that boasts a rich history. Since Roman times Ghent’s position at the junction of Leie and Schelde Rivers has ensured that it has been a successful trading port. In total the city features an Opera House, 18 museums, more than 100 churches and over 400 historical buildings. One of the major attractions is the St. Bavo Cathedral where a number of masterpieces of medieval art including the world famous ‘Adoration of the Mystic Lamb’ by Jan van Eyck are kept and the 91-metre-tall belfry of Ghent, one of three medieval towers that overlook the old city centre.
Today you will cycle through the beautiful Flemish countryside of western Flanders to Bruges, widely described as the ‘Venice of the North’ and arguably the most beautiful of all the Flemish cities. Bruges attracts more than two million visitors every year who come to see the picturesque medieval town centre of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed historic city and a long list of historic attractions. An outstanding example of a medieval historic settlement, Bruges has managed to maintain its historic fabric as it has evolved over the centuries, with the result that today the city’s original Gothic buildings form an integral part of the town's identity. While you are here you can visit one of Bruges' many museums or simply take in the stunning beauty of this unforgettable city from the comfort of a sidewalk café. Dinner tonight will be in town in a restaurant of your choice (recommendations available on board).
Your final day of cycling takes you along a quiet canal and past beautiful poplar trees through an attractive polder landscape (a polder is a low-lying tract of land enclosed by embankments) dotted with small farm houses to the North Sea coast. Here you can swim in the sea along an inviting sandy beach and visit any one of numerous cafés if you want. Whilst returning to Bruges, you will cycle along a small picturesque canal.
Departure from Bruges
After breakfast the tour comes to an end. Please disembark by 10am.
Cycle through Holland and Belgium on well-built cycle paths. The routes are suitable for novices as well as those who cycle frequently.
Guided and self-guided cycle tours: The guided tours are finalised depending on the group's ability and how many people there are. If you choose to do a self-guided cycle tour, the route books are on board the boat. You will ride between 40 and 60km each day. All distances are approximations of the recommended cycle tours.
- 7 nights stay in outer cabins with shower/WC in the booked category
- Program according to itinerary on the MS Magnifique
- Meals: 7x breakfast, 6x packed lunch during bike tours, 6x three course dinner (dinner in Bruges and Antwerp are respectively not included)
- Use of bed linen and towels (daily change of towels possible); quick clean of the cabin daily
- Welcoming drink and speech on the first evening
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees are included
- Daily bike briefing on board
- Some short city sightseeing tours
- Two guides for the guided bike tours
- 1 set of printed instructions and detailed maps per cabin for self-guided tours
- Daily coffee and tea between 3 and 4pm.
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Amsterdam train station is close to the pier
- Bruges train station (Stationsplein) is about 3 km away from the pier
- Amsterdam Oosterdok car park: secure car park at the train station, about €13 per day (www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl)
- Car park Amsterpark.nl / Valet Parking Services: Drop off your car at the pier on arrival day , car will be back at the pier on day of departure, price €140 per week (application form in the travel documents)
- Car park in Bruges e.g. at the train station for about €4 per day, no reservation possible.
- Return journey by train costs about €53 per person.
- Program and details are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID card.
- Special wishes concerning meals like dietary requirements or vegetarian food can be provided upon request and for a surcharge. Maybe you have to bring some of the products on your own. This has to be ordered at least 14 days before arrival.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothes (coat and trousers), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people