Bruges - Amsterdam, MS Magnifique II
Picture book Holland & Belgium.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Arrival in Bruges
Arrival and embarkation early afternoon in the beautiful city of Bruges, also called “Pearl of Flanders”. The crew will welcome you. You will have plenty of time to discover the beautiful historical city of Bruges. Afternoon and evening with city tour in Bruges.
Your cycle tour starts early today on the outskirts of Bruges following the distribution of bicycles after breakfast. You will start your first day of cycling by pedalling towards Ghent through the beautiful Flemish landscape along the Ghent canal. On arrival in Ghent make sure you make the effort to discover the best of what this historical city has to offer during an afternoon stroll. Ghent’s town centre features lovely illuminated streets that are a must to explore, while the architectural richness in the historical centre of the city has to be seen to be believed (during the Middle Ages Ghent was the 2nd largest European city after Paris). The Ship will dock for the night at the Merelbeke lock, in a suburb of Ghent and approx. 15 cycling min. to the city centre.
After breakfast in Ghent you will cycle downstream through a diverse landscape along the tidal Schelde River to Dendermonde located at the junction of Dender and Schelde Rivers. There is only one way to describe the landscape along the Schelde and that is “magnificent”. It is without doubt one of the natural highlights of the tour. During this section of the Schelde the speed of the MS Magnifique II will be determined by the height of the tide. You will travel from Dendermonde to St. Amands by either bike or barge depending on the tides. Your floating hotel will be docked for the night in St. Amands.
Today we will follow the Schelde River further downstream through the Temse region to Antwerp. Over the centuries the Schelde River has held strategic importance for the Romans, Vikings, Spanish and Napoleon… today it is a beautiful waterway just perfect for bike and barge holidays! Antwerp, your destination for the day, is a harbour city famous for handling up to 80% of the world's rough diamonds and as the birthplace of the famous painter Sir Peter Paul Rubens. There are many highlights in the city to discover including: the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. Dinner will be in town in a restaurant of your choice (recommendations available on board).
The MS Magnifique II will sail this morning along the Schelde-Rhine Canal and over the huge Kreekrak lock system to the fortified town of Willemstad and further on to Dordrecht, one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands and your destination for the day. The skipper will discuss with you in the morning which parts of the tour will be covered by barge or by bicycle.
Today you will start your tour with the “Waterbus” (not included, approx. € 4,- per person), a fast ferry that will take you and your bike in just 10 minutes to Alblasserdam. After just a few minutes of cycling you will reach Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 UNESCO cultural heritage-listed windmills – one of which you can visit (don’t forget your camera!). The windmills were constructed in the 18th century to pump water out of the low Alblasserwaard polder (a polder is a low-lying tract of land enclosed by embankments). You will then continue to cycle via Schoonhoven to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek where you will spend the evening.
Since the 17th century Schoonhoven – nicknamed Silver City – has been renowned for its talented silversmiths.
During breakfast the MS Magnifique II will cruise to Breukelen where you disembark to start your final day of cycling. Ride along the Vecht River in an area famous for its beautiful mansions, small castles, impressive houses and their large gardens. After cycling through the villages of Nieuwersluis, Loenen and Vreeland you will arrive at Nigtevecht where you can visit a traditional cheese farm. Continue cycling through the historical town of Muiden and on to Amsterdam where you will meet the barge for the final time in the Amsterdam harbour.
After breakfast: end of the tour and disembarkation till 10:00 AM.
Through Holland and Belgium always flat along bike paths.
Cycle trips with a guide or self-guided: Those tours will be adjusted individually with the tour guide, depending on the group and their potential. There is a daily briefing in the evening for the next day. The ones who will make the trip self-guided can use the route books which are provide on board (books only gettable on board). You will cycle about 40 and 60 km per day.
|Jun 13, 2018
|Jun 27, 2018
|Jul 11, 2018
|Aug 8, 2018
|Aug 22, 2018
|Sep 5, 2018
|Sep 19, 2018
- Program as mentioned in the tour course
- 7 nights in cabins with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lung or lunch package for your bike tours, coffee and tea in the afternoon, 6x three-course dinner (in Antwerpen on your own)
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily bike tour briefing
- 2 local tour guidance and guided bike tours, self-guided trips with route book (available on board) are possible
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Train station Amsterdam close to the pier
- Train station Bruges (Stationsplein) about 3 km from the pier
- Car park Amsterpark.nl / Valet Parking Services: Pick up of your car at the pier on day of arrival, car will be back at the pier on day of departure, price € 150,- per week (application form in the travel documents)
- Car park in Bruges e.g. at the train station for about € 4,- per day, no reservation possible.
- Return tourney by train about € 55,- per person.
- Program and details are subject to changes due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a gratis cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID-Card.
- Special wishes concerning meals as dietary or vegetarian food can be provided upon request and against surcharge. Maybe you have to bring some of the products on your own. This has to be ordered at least 14 days before arrival.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothing (jacket and trouser), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people
This tour has 5 more variants
Bike & Barge MS Magnifique II
During this tour by bike & barge with the MS Magnifique II you can enjoy the most beautiful art cities of Flanders: Brussels, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges are wonderful and interesting historical cities.