Amsterdam - Bruges, MS Fluvius
Holland meets Belgium.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Today you make your own way to Amsterdam to start the tour. You can embark from 1pm. At 2pm the boat will set off for the first time to Vianen, which is a small fortress city on the little Lek river.
After breakfast you will cycle a beautiful route to Schoonhoven – nicknamed Zilverstad (Silver City) – a city that has been renowned for its talented silver smiths since the 17th Century. As you continue to cycle along the Lek River you will pass through the Alblasserwaard region to Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 large windmills – one of which you can visit. They have a UNESCO cultural heritage listing. From nearby Alblasserdam you will take the “Waterbus” (not included, costs approx.€ 4 per person), a fast ferry, that will take and your bike you in approx. 10 minutes to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland. The historical centre is impressively located between two powerful rivers.
During breakfast the ship sails to Willemstad. You will cycle past the impressive "Volkerak" lock and then continue to Tholen, which was an island in former times. Alternatively you can bike through a forest area, “the Wouwse Plantage“, towards the south to the impressive Kreekraksluis (lock).
From here you shall continue by boats. Almost without noticing you will cross the border into Belgium. Look forward to your time in Antwerp, which is not only known as the 'diamond city', but also as the native city of painter Rubens. You will find some of his paintings in the “Onze Lieve Vrouwe (our lady) Cathedral”.
After breakfast you leave the port by bike to the Zeeschelde. You follow this beautiful but capricious tidal river upstream to Dendermonde. There is a beautiful bike path along the river and the landscape around the Schelde is magnificent. You will either cycle to St-Amands or Dendermonde, a friendly little town along the river. Those who would like to can enjoy the evening doing a beer tasting session.
(Possible boat ride to St-Amands where you stay overnight)
The bike tour follows the river Schelde once again this time towards Ghent. Ghent is a lively university city with a long past. In the afternoon you have the opportunity to discover the city some more or to shop in the lively centre. The city was founded in Roman times at the point where the rivers Leie and Schelde converge. The convenient location has brought much prosperity over the years, culminating in the late 13th and early 14th Centuries. The textile industry brought great wealth. The ship is docked at the lock in Merelbeke, a suburb of Ghent (approx. 15 min away from the city centre by bike).
Today our bike tour goes through the pleasant country side of Western Flanders to Bruges. Bruges, also called the Venice of the North, is maybe the most beautiful of all Flemish cities. Its old centre, which dates from the Middle Ages is almost completely intact. At that time, Bruges was a metropolis and center of commerce and art. You can still see this glory from the beautiful buildings. But Bruges is also a nice town for shopping or going out.
The last bike tour takes you to a quiet canal where you’ll find lots of poplars. You cycle through an attractive polder landscape with nice small farm houses until you get to the North Sea coast. A 12km long sandy beach and numerous cafés provide enough variety during your lunch break. Afterwards, you head back to Bruges. Dinner is on board the MS Fluvius.
After breakfast it is time to disembark and to make your own way home.
Flat routes through Holland and Belgium along bike paths.
Self-guided or guided cycle trips: The guided bike tours are finalised depending on the group members and ability by the tour guide. For those doing a self-guided bike tour, you will get your route book when your board the boat. Each day you will cycle between 40 and 60km. All of the distances are approximations from the recommended bike tours.
|May 19, 2018
|Jun 2, 2018
|Jun 16, 2018
|Jun 30, 2018
|Jul 14, 2018
|Jul 28, 2018
|Aug 11, 2018
|Aug 25, 2018
|Sep 8, 2018
|Sep 22, 2018
- Program according to itinerary
- Accommodation on board in outer cabins in the booked category
- Full board (7 x breakfast, 6 x packed lunch during bike tours or light lunch on board, 7 x three course dinner
- Bed linen and towels (change of towels daily possible); daily cleaning of the cabin
- Welcome drink and speech on the first evening
- Tour leader (multilingual) with daily briefings of the bike tours, some short city tours; during the day the tour leader is cycling the daily bike tour (guided tours) and can be reached by individual travelers on his/her cell phone
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily bike tours (on board)
- Daily coffee and tea until 4pm
Transfers to/from the docking places in Amsterdam and Bruges; rental bicycle, other transfers, parking fee, entrance fees & excursions, fees for ferries, drinks on board, personal insurances, gratuities (at your discretion).
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Amsterdam train station is close to the pier
- Bruges train station (Stationsplein) is about 3 km from the pier
- Amsterdam Oosterdok car park: secure car park at the train station, about €15/day (www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl)
- Car park Amsterpark.nl / Valet Parking Services: Pick up your car from the pier on the day you arrive and pick it up from the pier on your day of departure, price €150 per week (application form in the travel documents)
- Return journey by train costs about €55 per person.
- Program and itinerary are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or ID card (where applicable)
- Dietary requirements or vegetarian food can be catered for upon request and for a surcharge. You might need to bring some products yourself. You must let us know at least 14 days before the tour starts.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothing (jacket and trouser), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people
This tour has 1 more variant
Bike & Barge MS Fluvius
With MS Fluvius through the most beautiful cities of Holland and Flanders. Highlights are Amsterdam, Antwerp, Gent and Bruges.