Bruges - Amsterdam, MS Magnifique III
By bike and boat from Bruges to Amsterdam
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Arrival to Bruges
Arrival and embarkation early afternoon in the beautiful city of Bruges, also called “Pearl of Flanders”. The crew will welcome you. You will have plenty of time to discover the beautiful historical city of Bruges. Afternoon and evening with city tour in Bruges.
Your cycle tour starts early today on the outskirts of Bruges following the distribution of bicycles after breakfast. You will start your first day of cycling by pedalling towards Ghent through the beautiful Flemish landscape along the Ghent canal. On arrival in Ghent make sure you make the effort to discover the best of what this historical city has to offer during an afternoon stroll. Ghent’s town centre features lovely illuminated streets that are a must to explore, while the architectural richness in the historical centre of the city has to be seen to be believed (during the Middle Ages Ghent was the 2nd largest European city after Paris). The Ship will dock for the night at the Merelbeke lock, in a suburb of Ghent and approx. 15 cycling min. to the citycentre.
After breakfast in Ghent you will cycle downstream through a diverse landscape along the tidal Schelde River to Dendermonde located at the junction of Dender and Schelde Rivers. There is only one way to describe the landscape along the Schelde and that is “magnificent”. It is without doubt one of the natural highlights of the tour. During this section of the Schelde the speed of the MS Magnifique III will be determined by the height of the tide. If necessary, shipping to St-Amands and overnight stay in St-Amands.
Today we will follow the Schelde River further downstream through the Temse region to Antwerp. Over the centuries the Schelde River has held strategic importance for the Romans, Vikings, Spanish and Napoleon… today it is a beautiful waterway just perfect for bike and barge holidays! Antwerp, your destination for the day, is a harbour city famous for handling up to 80% of the world's rough diamonds and as the birthplace of the famous painter Sir Peter Paul Rubens. There are many highlights in the city to discover including: the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. Dinner will be in town in a restaurant of your choice (recommendations available on board).
The MS Magnifique III will sail this morning along the Schelde-Rhine Canal and over the huge Kreekrak lock system to the fortified town of Willemstad and further on to Dordrecht, one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands and your destination for the day. The skipper will discuss with you in the morning which parts of the tour will be covered by barge or by bicycle.
Today you will start your tour with the “Waterbus” (not included, approx. € 4,- per person), a fast ferry that will take you and your bike in just 10 minutes to Alblasserdam. After just a few minutes of cycling you will reach Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 UNESCO cultural heritage-listed windmills – one of which you can visit (don’t forget your camera!). The windmills were constructed in the 18th century to pump water out of the low Alblasserwaard polder (a polder is a low-lying tract of land enclosed by embankments). You will then continue to cycle via Schoonhoven to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek where you will spend the evening.
Since the 17th century Schoonhoven – nicknamed Silver City – has been renowned for its talented silversmiths.
During breakfast the MS Magnifique III will cruise to Breukelen where you disembark to start your final day of cycling. Ride along the Vecht River in an area famous for its beautiful mansions, small castles, impressive houses and their large gardens. After cycling through the villages of Nieuwersluis,
Loenen and Vreeland you will arrive at Nigtevecht where you can visit a traditional cheese farm. Continue cycling through the historical town of Muiden and on to Amsterdam where you will meet the barge for the final time in the Amsterdam harbour.
Departure from Amsterdam
After breakfast: end of the tour and disembarkation till 10:00 AM. If you wish, you can visit Amsterdam or one of its numerous museums, do some shopping or make a canal tour (not included).
Characteristics of the tour
Leisurely cycling - this route is suitable for everyone! You mainly ride along asphalted bike paths, quiet agricultural rides but also on dusty forest and field tracks. Short sections run along faster roads. The route is mainly flat though some hills do need to be tackled.
- 7 nights stay in outer cabins with shower/WC in the booked category
- Program according to itinerary on the MS Magnifique III
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Linen and towels (can be changed if desired)
- Full board: 7 breakfast buffets, 6 packed lunches whilst cycling or lunch snack on board, tea and coffee until 4pm if on board, 6 three course dinners
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily bike tour briefings aboard
- Several short town tours
- 2 local bike guides if you booked guided cycling tour
- 1 set of detailed cycle maps and information material per cabin (to be received upon arrival only)
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Secure car park at Bruges main station (Stationsplein) costs approx €4 per day
- Ring road close to the boat has a few places to park for free in the street - no reservation possible
- Take a take to the boat from Bruges main station. It costs approx. €15 - €25
- Return transfer by train from Amsterdam to Bruges. This costs approx. €55 per person
- Program and details are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID card.
- Dietary requirement or special wishes such as vegetarian food can be catered for upon request and against surcharge. Maybe you have to bring some of the products on your own. This has to be ordered at least 14 days before arrival.
- Good rain clothing (coat and trousers) are essential. Make sure to take a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people
This tour has 5 more variants
MS Magnifique III
Elegantes, neues Schiff (Fertigstellung April 2018) mit stilvoller Ausstattung.