Mainz - Cologne, MS Arlene II
Travel by bike & barge through a UNESCO World Heritage Site from Mainz to Cologne
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Mainz
Embark between 3pm and 5pm. There may be time to see the old town of Mainz with its lovely alleys and public squares.
Today we will show you why the river Rhine and its surroundings are part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage. Beautiful islands, steep slate rocks and vineyards shape the region around Rüdesheim. By bike you will pass Eltville with its fortress "Kurfürstliche Burg“ and Oestrich-Winkel with its crane for loading wine as a famous landmark and arrive finally in Rüdesheim. Here, the world-famous wine alley "Drosselgasse” is well worth a visit.
Today you will cycle along the Rhine through the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, passing romantic castles and ruins. These buildings include the Reichenstein and Rheinstein fortresses. You will also go past the famous rock of the Loreley on your way to St. Goar - today's destination. From the top of the rock you will have a beautiful view of St. Goar and St. Goarshausen.
Boppard and the Marksburg are possible destinations today on your way to Coblenz with its famous “Deutsche Eck” (German corner), where the rivers Moselle and Rhine merge. From the fortress Ehrenbreitstein, which you can reach comfortably by cableway, you will enjoy a fantastic view over the splendid landscape of the Rhine. Tickets for the cableway are available on board.
Your path will lead you past Neuwied with its castle Engers to Andernach, which is today's destination. Like Coblenz this is one of the oldest cities in Germany. Here you will find the famous cold water gush spring. This water fountain with a height of 50 to 60 meters is said to be the highest in the world. In Andernach you can enjoy sights like the Round Tower or you can visit the wine village Leutesdorf, which you can reach from Andernach by ferry.
On your way to Bonn it is worthwhile to visit castle Drachenburg in Königswinter on the Drachenfels (steep slope) or the Sea Life with its various marine inhabitants. Later in the day you will reach Bonn. Germany's former capital is cosy yet cosmopolitan. Numerous global organisations still have their headquarters here and provide the city of Beethoven with international flair.
Before you reach Cologne by bike, you can have a nice rest at the leisure island Groov amidst a vast landscape of the Rheinaue wetland in one of Cologne's suburbs, Porz-Zündorf.
Once you have reached the city centre of Cologne, take your time for a stroll through the old town. Museums like the Ludwig Museum or the Chocolat Museum by the river Rhine are worth a visit. The modern parts of Cologne are also good and can be found at the port of the Rheinaue wetland with its crane houses. The breweries with their famous “Kölsch” beer show a relaxed side to this big city.
Departure from Cologne
After breakfast it is time to disembark. Please do so before 9am.
The cycle paths on this tour are in excellent condition. Most sections are either paved or asphalted. You cycle alongside the Rhine dikes and there are not any noteworthy hills. This makes the tour suitable for novice cyclists too.
- Accomodation in outside cabin with shower/WC in the booked category
- Programme according to itinerary from Mainz to Cologne
- Welcome drink
- Full board (breakfast, packed lunch for cycle tours or lunch snack, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner)
- Cabin cleaned daily
- Change of bedding and towels if required
- Lock, harbour and bridge fees
- Daily briefing on board for the respective cycle tours
- Tour guide on board
- 1 set of maps and information material per cabin
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Mainz station is about 3 km away from the pier
- Central station car park (unguarded, cannot be booked in advance) costs approx. €10 per day.
Minimum of participants
- 80 people
- Timetable and program are subject to changes. At times of extreme flooding or low water the boat company reserves the right to be allowed to either transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also the case for anyunforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or in case an engine on the boat breaks down.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and motor-driven transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise, please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 5 more variants
MS Arlene II
The comfortable MS ARLENE II provides the right ambience to make you feel at ease. The ship is being completely refurbished and upgraded in the winter of 2017/2018.