Arrival in Vienna
We highly recommended that you arrive early in Vienna. This metropolis on the Danube has plenty to offer and it is worth staying there for longer. Enjoy a cup of coffee and the typical Viennese cake. the "Sachertorte“ in one of the numerous coffee houses. You could also treat yourself to a tour with a horse-drawn cab that they call "Fiaker“.
The first stage of your bike tour takes you through the national park 'Donau-Auen'. There you will see the diversity of the flora and fauna as well as the manifold types of landscape for yourself. You pass Orth castle and Eckertsau village and you then reach Bad Deutsch Altenburg. There you can make an excursion on the Roman bike trail (Römerweg) to Carnuntum. The archaeological park is regarded as one of the most significant archaeological sites in Austria. After Hainburg you reach the border with Slovakia and it's capital city, Bratislava. You will stay in Bratislava overnight.
You cycle a short distance through Slovakia today before you pass into Rajká, Hungary. Within just the first few kilometers of your cycle trip in Hungary, you will discover charming villages! This area is heavily influenced by agriculture. Your route guides you through the so-called Szigetköz (a small Rye Island). This is characterized by an uncountable number of Danube side arms. Today´s destination is Mosonmagyaróvár, which is also called the "City of 17 bridges“.
Today you will also cycle through the nature paradise of the small Rye Island. On your way you pass Hédervár, which is perfect for a lunch break. The castle is situated in the middle of a protected park. You should schedule plenty of time for visiting Györ. The district capital offers many sights and a breathtaking historic centre.
Very soon you will arrive in a Hungarian district called Böny. From there one version of the tour takes you to Bábolna, a very well cared for little town with a lovely centre. Far past its borders is the famous National Stud. Race horses are bred there in the splendid courtyard. The last part of your stage brings you back to the river Danube before you then reach the seperated town of Komárom/Komárno. In the evening you can relax in the hot springs and simply relax.
Today´s route runs alongside riverbanks in the flat Danube valley. In the course of this you pass different villages and while cycling you can view the vineyards in the background. The sporty bikers can choose a route over Tata but there are some ascents. This requires a decent basic level of fitness. Those interested in history should plan time for the Roman castle Kelemantia, which is on the way. However the absolute highlight is today's destination: Esztergom (also known as "Hungarian Rome“). It´s basilica is the largest church in the country.
You cycle along the "Donauknie“, which is probably one of the most attractive sections of the Danube bike trail. The Royal Palace and the castle of Visegrád will delight you. The open air museum as well as the baroque old town of Szentendre invites you to stay. After arriving there you can review all impressions of this wonderful bike trip whilst taking a walk through the city.
Departure or extension
In the Hungarian capital city there is a lot to discover. If you are interested in spending some more time here, we would be happy to book extra nights for you. Our transfer from Budapest to Vienna is very comfortable and this can be arranged for an additional charge.
You cycle on bike trails, paths alongside a dam and occasionally on relatively quiet side roads. Busy roads are only used for very short distances. You only cycle on rough paths for 3 short sections. Otherwise you will also be cycling on tarmac. The entire route is signed very well with just a few exceptions in the Slovakian part. Altogether the tour is relatively easy with a few hills at times.
Because of the longer stages you should have a decent level of stamina.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- If half board is booked: every day a 3 course meal
- Welcome biefing
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents
- Boat ticket from Esztergom – Visegrád incl. your bike (only Alternative 8/7, out of season it might be a train ticket instead)
- GPS-data is available
- Rental bike insurance
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Vienna train station
- Vienna or Bratislava airport
- Public car park close to the hotel, free of charge. Public multi storage car park close to the hotel costs approx. €3 to €12 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.
- Car park direct at the hotel costs approx. €22 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.
- Transfer from Budapest to Vienna by bus: bookable each Friday, Saturday and Sunday and in season 3 every day, departure at 3.30 pm; pick-up service directly at the hotel, duration approx. 3.5 hours. Price €55 per person including bike, reservation required; subject to availability at the time of application. Special dates upon request at least for min. 4 persons.
- Alternatively there are excellent rail connections available (without changing the train, several times daily).
- Where visitor’s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price!