Itinerary at a glance
Around Essen, you'll be amazed by the transformation of coal and steel plants! In Bochum, you'll visit a coal mine and travel along the ore railway route to Zeche Zollverein. From there, you'll cycle via Mühlheim to reach Baldeneysee, where you can admire the impressive Villa Hügel.
Individual Arrival in Essen. Use the time until the welcome briefing start in the evening, to visit the Folkwang Museum, the cathedral with its treasury, or the Synagogue right next door.
In Gelsenkirchen's Nordsternpark, many things are reminiscent of the former colliery that once stood here. Numerous colliery buildings have been integrated into the park (the Federal Garden Show was held here in 1997). The 18-metre high 'Hercules of Gelsenkirchen' towers above the park. The circular tour also leads over two slagheaps, on which there are also modern sculptures. From here you have a wonderful view of the area.
One of the world's most extraordinary exhibition halls is the first stop, the Gasometer in Oberhausen. The tour continues along the Rhine-Herne Canal to the Duisburg-Nord Landscape Park around a disused ironworks site. See how nature reclaims its terrain.
You cycle along the cycle path to Mülheim. Upstream along the Ruhr you pass through some small, pleasant districts: Saarn (monastery and beautiful old town), Kettwig, Werden (former abbey). Villa Hügel (former home of the Krupp family) rises above Lake Baldeney. End your cycling day in one of the numerous beer gardens along the Ruhr.
This tour is all about mining. In Bochum you can go underground and experience what it was like in the coal mines. The tour continues via the ore railway to the Zollverein colliery, probably the most beautiful colliery in the world and also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Easy difficulty. Mainly very good cycle paths without car traffic on disused railway lines or along rivers or canals. Short stages also on roads with moderate traffic. If the day becomes too long because of the many worthwhile stops, the next station is usually not far away.
Prices and dates
Category: see description
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- 1 welcome drink and multi-course meal on the arrival day
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- App for navigation and GPS-data
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Essen train station
- Düsseldorf or Dortmund airport
- Parking garage at the hotel approx. EUR 14 per day, space limited
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not inclueded in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- This tour is a partner tour.