Amsterdam - Bruges, MS Magnifique
Picture book Holland & Belgium.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Embark the MS Magnifique and check-in at 1pm. At about 2pm, the ship leaves Amsterdam and sails to Nigtevecht. From here, you set off on your bike ride to Breukelen along the winding Vecht river. By the end of the afternoon, the barge takes you to Vianen - a small fortified town on the river Lek. Dinner will be on board.
After breakfast you can enjoy a beautiful bike ride to the 'silver city', Schoonhoven. There were many talented silversmiths working here in the 17th Century. Then you cycle on to Kinderdijk wheret there is an impressive row of 19 large windmills appears (UNESCO cultural heritage site). You can visit one of these windmills. Then the barge takes us further to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland. Dordrecht is located at the confluence of two large rivers. Dinner will be on board.
Over breakfast the MS Magnifique will sail to Willemstadt where you will start today's cycle ride.
Attractions today include the beautiful “Wouwse Plantage” forest, the fortress town of Bergen op Zoom and the impressive Kreekrak lock. In the afternoon you will once again board the MS Magnifique which will sail to the port
city of Antwerp, which is situated on the river Schelde. Antwerp is famous for handling up to 80% of the world's rough diamonds and is a city with a long list of attractions including the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings
constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. After dinner make sure you visit the beautiful old city centre.
You cycle upstream along the Zeeschelde and discover the charming nature here. You cycle to Sint Amands or Dendermonde (where the boat will moor is dependant on the tides). You will go past lots of nice pubs and small ferry ports. Dinner is on board.
Today you go from St Amands to Dendemonde by bike or barge. From Dendermonde you can cycle to Ghent, a univeristy town with a rich past. In the afternoon you have the opportunity to discover the city some more, or to shop in the lively centre. The city was founded in Roman times, where the rivers Leie and Schelde converge. The convenient location has over the years brought much prosperity, culminating in the late 13th, early 14th century. The textile industry brought great wealth. In the city, many old patrician preserved. The Cloth Hall (1425) came cloth merchants together. The main church St. Bavo Cathedral, which is built in different ages and in different styles. In the cathedral are some masterpieces of medieval art, which "Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" by Jan van Eyck is the most famous. The ship is docked at the lock in Merelbeke, a suburb of Ghent.
Today you cycle through the pleasantly flat area in Western Flanders to the wonderful town of Bruges (nicknamed the pearl of Flanders), which for many is a highlight of this holiday. Bruges' old town is in extremely good condition. The rest of the afternoon is left free for you to do what you want in order to check out some of the attractions in Bruges like one of the museums. Alternatively you can enjoy a coffee and enjoy the atmosphere there. Your tour guide will give you suggestions about a good place to go out for dinner in the evening (no dinner on board).
The last bike ride on this holiday takes you along a quiet canal lined with poplar trees. A 12km long, sandy beach and plenty of cafes makes a great lunch spot. Afterwards you return to Bruges. Dinner is on board the barge.
The tour comes to an end after breakfast. It is time to disembark (before 10am) and to make your own journey home.
Flat routes through Holland and Belgium along bike paths.
Self-guided or guided cycle trips: The guided bike tours are finalised depending on the group members and ability by the tour guide. For those doing a self-guided bike tour, you will get your route book when you board the boat. Each day you will cycle between 40 and 60km. All of the distances are approximations from the recommended bike tours.
|May 19, 2018
|Jun 2, 2018
|Jun 16, 2018
|Jun 30, 2018
|Jul 14, 2018
|Aug 11, 2018
|Aug 25, 2018
|Sep 8, 2018
|Sep 22, 2018
- Program according to itinerary
- 7 nights stay in outer cabin with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lunch or packed lunch for those cycling, coffee and tea in the afternoon, 6x three-course dinner (in Antwerpen dinner not provided)
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily cycle tour briefing
- Those who book a guided tour have a local tour guide who can speak German, English and Dutch); self-guided tour also possible
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Car park right by the main station (max. height 2.1m). Costs €15 for 24 hours. www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl
- Journey to the boat from Amsterdam main station costs about €20 (4km) or by bus it costs about €3 and takes roughly 10 minutes.
- Return journey to Amsterdam from Bruges by train costs about €55 per person
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people
- Program and itinerary are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or ID card (where applicable)
- Dietary requirements or vegetarian food can be catered for upon request and for a surcharge. You might need to bring some products yourself. You must let us know at least 14 days before the tour starts.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothing (jacket and trouser), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
This tour has 5 more variants
Bike & Barge MS Magnifique
This bicycle- and shiptour leads you through Belgium and the Netherlands. Enjoy the nights on board of the MS Magnifique.