Bruges - Amsterdam, MS Magnifique
Picture book Holland & Belgium.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Arrival in Bruges
Arrive in Bruges as arranged by you. Embark from 1pm onwards. Bruges in a wonderful town as is often referred to as the loveliest Flemmish city. The medieval old town was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the year 2000.
Explore the large market square, the town hall, the cloth hall, the belfry and the Béguinage. You will stay overnight in Bruges.
After getting your hire bikes, your first bike ride will begin and you will cycle through the pleasant flat region of Western Flanders to Ghent, which is a university town with a long history.
The great location brought a lot of affluence over the years and at the end of the 13th and start of the 14th Century reached its peak. Lots of patrician houses are still in good condition in the centre. In the "Lakenhal" (cloth hall, 1425), textile merchants used to meet here and used to close deals here. The most important church here is the St. Baafs Cathedral, which was built in various Centuries. This means that you can see various different building styles.
The mooring point by the Merelbeke lock is approx. 15 minutes away from Ghent's old town.
After breakfast in Ghent you will cycle downstream through a diverse landscape along the tidal Schelde River to Dendermonde, which is located at the junction of the Dender and Schelde Rivers. There is only one way to describe the landscape along the Schelde and that is “magnificent”. It is without doubt one of the natural highlights on the tour. During this section of the Schelde, the speed of the MS Magnifique II will be determined by the height of the tide. You will travel from Dendermonde to St. Amands by either bike or barge depending on the tides. Your floating hotel will be docked for the night in St. Amands and you will have dinner on board too.
Bike ride past small ferry ports and nice restaurants and bars to Temse. You then cycle downstream along the Zeeschelde to Antwerpen. Look forward to visiting the 'diamond city', which is also known as the birth town of the famous panter Peter Paul Rubens. Your tour guide will give you top tips about restaurants to go to for dinner in Antwerpen (no dinner available on board).
This morning the MS Magnifique will sail along the Schelde-Rhine Canal and over the huge Kreekrak lock system to the fortified town of Willemstad and then further on to Dordrecht, one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands and today's destination. In the morning, the skipper will discuss with you which parts of the tour will be covered by barge or by bicycle.
Today you will take the “Waterbus” first (not included, approx. €4 per person), a fast ferry that will take you and your bike in just 10 minutes to Alblasserdam. After just a few minutes of cycling you will reach Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 UNESCO cultural heritage-listed windmills – one of which you can visit (don’t forget your camera!). You will then continue cycling via Schoonhoven to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek where you will spend the evening. In Vianen there are some lovely canals and a good town gate and town walls that were built in the 14th Century. Dinner on board.
During breakfast the MS Magnifique II will cruise to Breukelen. From there you cycle along the Vecht River via Nieuwersluis, Loenen and Vreeland you will arrive at Nigtevecht where you can visit a traditional cheese dairy. Continue cycling through the historical town of Muiden and then to Amsterdam where you will join the barge for the final time this holiday in Amsterdam's harbour. Dinner is on board.
After breakfast it´s time to say goodbye. Departure from Amsterdam as arranged by you.
Flat routes through Holland and Belgium along bike paths.
Self-guided or guided cycle trips: The guided bike tours are finalised depending on the group members and ability by the tour guide. For those doing a self-guided bike tour, you will get your route book when your board the boat. Each day you will cycle between 40 and 60km. All of the distances are approximations from the recommended bike tours.
- Program as mentioned in the tour itinerary
- 7 nights stay in outer cabins with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lunch or packed lunch for your bike tours, coffee and tea in the afternoon, 6x three-course dinner (in Antwerpen no dinner included)
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily bike tour briefing
- 2 local tour guides on guided tours, those doing a self-guided tour get provided with a route book (available on board)
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Bruges station 'Stationsplein' is approx. 1km away from the pier
- Car parking in Bruges: for example Stationsplein car park (station) costs approx. €4 per day. No reservation possible.
- Returning by train costs approx. €55 per person
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people
- Program and itinerary are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID card (if applicable).
- Special wishes concerning meals as dietary or vegetarian food can be provided upon request and for a surcharge. Maybe you have to bring some of the products on your own. This has to be ordered at least 14 days before arrival.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothing (coat and trousers), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
This tour has 5 more variants
Bike & Barge MS Magnifique
This bicycle- and shiptour leads you through Belgium and the Netherlands. Enjoy the nights on board of the MS Magnifique.