Sportive along river Danube
As you like it.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau, the three rivers town , which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
Hotel (example) Schärding / Passau:
Today, you will start your bike tour from Schärding by cycling along the river Inn to Passau, where the Inn joins the Danube. On the Danube cycle path you will cross the upper Danube valley and pass the town Engelhartszell with its impressive abbey church belonging to the Engelszell monastery. Then, you will cycle via Niederranna and approach today’s highlight, the “Schlögen bend“. Here, the second largest river in Europe is forced by the granite of the Bohemian Massif into a unique 180° turn. You will have time to watch this natural phenomenon whilst taking a ferry ride to the other side of the river.
Today you cycle through the green area of the Eferdinger Becken (basin) via Aschach, Ottensheim, and Wilhering to the Upper Austrian capital Linz. Following the motto, “In Linz beginnt’s” (“It starts in Linz”) you can begin your city tour in one of the many restaurants in the historic old town. Further highlights of the European culture capital of 2009 are the magnificent views that you get from the Pöstlingberg or a stroll along the Danube.
Mixing things up a bit today, you will not cycle along the Danube. This is because you will be cycling to St. Florian (Augustinian Canons) and Enns. In Enns you will visit the town square with its 60 meter high city tower, the landmark of Austria’s oldest cit. Alternatively, you could visit the city's archaeological collection at the Lauriacum museum. Later on, you will cycle along the Danube once again and get to the beautiful baroque town, Grein. Here, you will have the opportunity to get an impression of the oldest still performing city theatre in Austria. Additionally, you can visit the maritime museum or the Greinburg castle. Afterwards, you will leave Upper Austria and cycle through the Weinviertel region to Marbach.
In Melk, you should stop briefly to take a look upwards. Otherwise you might miss out on seeing the beautiful Melk abbey, which towers above the Danube. As soon as you have left the city behind you, you will cycle into the landscape of the Wachau region where you will be enchanted by the atmosphere of the typical fruit orchards and vineyards. Then, you will cycle via the wine towns of Spitz and Weißenkirchen and past the ruins of Dürnstein castle and the 1,000-year-old town of Krems until you finish your stage. Today, we will organise wine tasting for you, which is a must-do activity when visiting the Wachau region.
The last few kilometres of your bike journey will take you to the Danube's metropolis, Vienna. After your arrival, you can check into your room and use the rest of your day to immerse yourself in the city of Vienna. Enjoy a cup of “Verlängerter” coffee and a piece of the famous 'Sachertorte' cake in one of the typical Viennese coffee houses. Stroll through Vienna’s shopping street Mariahilferstraße, visit St. Stephen’s Cathedral or get to know the main attractions of the city during a ride with one of the famous “Fiaker” (horse-drawn carriages).
Departure or extension
Flat or slightly downhill along the Danube. Well-built bike path that is almost always off-road. Minor roads make up only very short sections of this route. The Danube cycle path is a perfectly designed bike route.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, Frensh) with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1 ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- 1 wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer with van from Vienna, daily in the afternoon. Costs € 59 per person, bike included, reservation necessary, payable at the time
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Schärding and Passau train station
- Munich and Vienna airport
- Schärding: Free public car park on the Eurobike premises directly on the cycle path.
- Passau: Public car park approx. € 35 per week, no reservation possible/necessary
- Good train connections between Vienna and Schärding/Passau
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- When booking, please inform us about where you wish to arrive
- Weather warranty/Spring and autumn special: Tour bookings with arrival within season 1 can be rebooked free of charge up to 5 working days prior to arrival in case of bad weather