Moselle, Saar and Sauer
3 rivers roundtrip.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Nittel
Individual arrival in the small wine village Nittel. The bikes will be delivered the next morning to your hotel.
You start your bike tour up the Moselle to Oberbillig. From there you shovel with a ferry to Wasserbillig (ferry is not included). From here you follow the river Sauer. The marvellous landscape will escort you along the German-Luxembourg border. The last part you follow the Prüm to your today’s destination Irrel. Make sure you arrive early enough to Irrel, so you can visit the Irreler waterfalls and the ‘’Westwall-Museum’’.
After the breakfast you cycle back to the Sauer. There you cross the border at Echternach, it is one of the oldest cities in Luxembourg. A medieval fortification, a basilica and the lovely market square invite you to linger. Along the Sauer now on the Luxembourg side you cycle back to the upper Moselle. It will escort you to your today’s destination Konz.
Today the beautiful Moselle will escort you the whole day. Soon you will arrive in Trier. In the oldest city in Germany you can discover the roman history. You should definitely plan enough time to visit the Porta Nigra and the Amphitheatre. Over Pfalzel you will reach Schweich. The industrious bikers can do a little round tour to Mehring and then cycle back to Schweich on the other side of the Moselle. And the leisurely bikers can do a wine tasting instead.
On the opposite side of the Moselle you will cycle back to Konz. From there on you follow the Saar. A few of the passages are along the nature reserve oxbow lakes. Pretty wine villages line your path to the medieval Saarburg with its castle perched high above the river bed.
With a chairlift (included) it goes high up with your bike. An agricultural nature trail will escort you to Mannebach with its brewery. Over Wincheringen you will get back to the Moselle again. Follow the Moselle back to Nittel. In the evening you will have enough time to process the impressions of your great bike tour.
On Day 3 and Day 6 you will have a gentle slope. All the other days the route is on flat terrain. Overall it is a relative simple bike tour. It doesn’t require more than basic fitness.
Category: comfortable middle class hotels
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English) with route maps, route descriptions, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1 Chairlift ride incl. your bike
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Nittel train station
- Frankfurt-Hahn and Luxemburg airport
- Partly free parking at the hotel, details on request
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!