Würzburg - Donauwörth
On the Romantic Road I.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Würzburg
Artists as Balthasar Neumann, Tilman Riemenschneider and Tiepolo lived in this beautiful city. Enjoy the flair and lust for life in one of the numerous wine taverns. Overnight stay in Würzburg.
You leave Würzburg along a forest track and through the valley Steinbachtal. You pass little villages and follow the stream Aalbach. In Bettingen you reach river Main. Worth seeing is the medieval church. After a few kilometres you are already in Wertheim. The small town is located between Speesart and forest Odenwald at the mouth of river Tauber into river Rhine. Enjoy your evening in a romantic atmosphere!
You leave river Rhine and continue along valley Taubertal. Soon Tauberbischofsheim is reached with its palace and tower. Afterwards you follow the romantic road to Bad Mergentheim where you stay overnight.
You should spend some time in lively Bad Mergentheim before you continue to Creglingen. You continue your tour towards Rothenburg. The well-known, medieval city is the highlight of your tour.
You cycle to the village of Schillingsfürst with baroque palace. Afterwards you continue to Feuchtwangen and Dinkelsbühl. A highlight is the night watchman who walks through the city every night. If you like you can join him!
You continue to Nördlinger Ries, a geologic very interesting area. A meteoroid left a crater with a diameter of 20 – 25 km 15 million years ago. Your aim is the city Nördlingen with city wall, church, tower and tanner quarter.
Today you cycle through the valley of Wörnitztal. You continue to Harburg with old fortress and picturesque old city. Afterwards you reach Donauwörth which is awaiting you with lots of places of interest.
Departure or extension
You cycle on calm and asphalted country roads and bike paths. The bike path is signposted very well; you will find your next hotel without any effort. There are some stages between Würzburg and Taubertal, which are no problem to be managed.
Kategorie A: komfortable Mittelklassehotels
Kategorie B: gute Gasthöfe und Hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (GE, EN) with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1 Guided night guard tour in Rothenburg (GE, EN)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Return transfer by minibus from Donauwörth/Rain to Würzburg, daily at approx. 09:00 a.m. € 69 per person incl. bike (own E-bike € 20) duration approx. 2,5 to 3 hours, reservation necessary. Minimum number of participants: 4 persons.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Würzburg train station
- Free parking or with costs, depends on the arrival hotel
- Good train connection from Donauwörth to Würzburg, duration approx. 1-3 hours, 1-2 train changes.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!