Friuli - based in two hotels
Langobards and the Count of Goricia.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Prepotto
On the first day, you have the possibility to choose between two round trips, a shorter one and a longer one. The shorter tour leads to Cividale del Friuli, the medieval town of the Langobards. The historical center of the town is dominated by Piazza Duomo and Palazzo Pretorio, where you can have a rest.
The longer tour in addition leads you to the university city of Udine. You can visit the Dome, as well as the Loggia del Lionello, in the ground floor of the town hall.
This day takes you across the border to Slovenia and to Brda, meeting point of three cultures (Slavic, Romanic and Germanic). The Brda is well known mainly because of the winegrowing but also for its castles and white churches which are situated mostly on hills.
The Gorizia Hills (Collio in Italian) became well known due to its good wine, but it offers a lot for history lovers too. Today you cycle to the castles of the Collio, among which you can discover the castle Rocca Bernarda. This castle was a fief of the patriarchy of Aquileia and had been given as a present to the city of Cividale. This city left it to the Roman family Capiferro in the 15th century. Afterwards it was sold several times to different owners and finally to the family Perusini. The beautiful castle in the style of the 16th century is situated in the midst of extensive parks, on a hill surrounded by vineyards. Thanks to the dedication and the competence of Gaetano Perusini the cultivation of the “Picolit” grapes started, which have gained worldwide renown over the years.
Today you leave Prepotto and cycle to Cormons, the cultural and economic center of the Gorizia Hills (Collio). The main square of Cormons invites you to take a break and enjoy a glass of wine. Continue to Gradisca, a little village near the Slovenian border. Here we recommend to visit the Palazzo dei Provveditori in the old town with its Enoteca Regionale, where you should let the day fade away while enjoying the fine local wine. Overnight stay in Gradisca d’Isonzo.
This bicycle journey takes you to the formerly biggest city of the Roman Empire. Today the remnants of this settlement are still to be seen. Discover the secrets of the Roman city of Aquileia, the so-called “Second Rome”; Roman ruined cities, ancient churches. It is worth visiting the Aquileia Cathedral, which interior has a mosaic pavement from the 4th century.
On the last day of the cycle holiday there will await you Trieste, the former Habsburg city. On the first part of the route, following a breathtaking coastal, the Karst Plateau accompanies you along the Adriatic Sea. Before you enter in the old seaport and commercial town of Trieste, the Castle of Miramare invites you for a visit. By train you return to Gradisca.
Departure or extension
The route runs on bicycle paths and along side roads without traffic from the vineyards of the Collio to the Adriatic Coast.
Category: Agriturismo Tinello San Urbano in Prepotto and 4****-Hotel Franz in Gradisca
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or extensivebreakfast
- Half board: mind. three course dinner
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well-developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (GE, EN, IT with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-tracks available
- Return transfer by mini bus from Gradisca to Prepotto every Tuesday and Sunday, costs € 60 flat rate for up to 8 persons incl. your bike, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Cormons train station, by public bus from Udine to Prepotto
- Trieste, Venice Marco Polo and Ljubljana airport. Continue per bus or train to Udine or commons. Public bus from Udine or Cormons and by bus to Prepotto
- Free parking at the hotel
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!