Itinerary at a glance
Discover the famous Lake Bled with its island church and castle, picturesquely framed by the beautiful Karawanken mountains. A dip in the cool water provides refreshment.
In the morning, transfer to the high plateau of Pokljuka. Cycle through mountain villages to Lake Bohinj, the jewel of the Triglav National Park. Surrounded by high mountain peaks, it is the largest and deepest lake in the national park. Marvel at the Savica waterfall, the source of the lake and the Sava Bohinjka river. Take the cable car (excl.) up to Vogel Mountain, from where you have a spectacular view of the Bohinj Valley and Triglav, the highest peak in the Julian Alps.
Today you can either cycle over the Sorica Pass across the Julian Alps or take the train (excl.) through the Bohinj tunnel to Podbrdo (approx. 35 km). Cycle through a narrow valley along the beautiful emerald-green Soča, which has its source in the mountains of the Julian Alps. Shortly before your destination, take the opportunity to refresh yourself in the "ice-cold waters" before spending the night in Tolmin.
Transfer to the Kolovrat Saddle - a spectacular vantage point high above the Soča Valley. Once the scene of heavy fighting during the First World War, it is now an interesting open-air museum. You cycle to Šmartno v Goriških Brdih, which is surrounded by lush vineyards. A young and beautifully restored medieval village with narrow streets and Mediterranean houses, where you can stretch your legs and enjoy a white wine. On the way to your destination for the day, you will cycle along a unique "corridor road" that crosses Italy and see the bridge with the largest stone arch in the world!
After leaving the Brda wine region, you reach the "Berlin of the South". The Iron Curtain once divided the town of Gorizia between Italy and Yugoslavia. At the train station, you can visit the very interesting "Curtain Museum". Continue to the smallest military museum in the world - a historic Yugoslavian border outpost and the Kostanjevica Monastery, where the last French king is buried. Inland, you will soon reach the vineyards of the Vipava region. Your host will be happy to offer you tastings of the best wines in the beautiful rural surroundings of his small karst village.
Today you cycle to the Lipica stud farm, where you can visit the beautiful thoroughbred Lipizzaner horses, whose gentle, graceful dance has impressed many a visitor. Take a tour in a traditional carriage and visit the horses up close in their stables. You can also visit the unusual yet interesting "War Museum" in a beautiful Venetian tower. The small town hotel at your destination belongs to a butcher's family, but the young master is also a wine expert and will introduce you to the best red wines of the Karst region.
In the morning, you can visit the fascinating UNESCO caves of Škocjan. This is followed by a beautiful descent with magnificent views of the Adriatic Sea before you reach the southern outskirts of Trieste and your cycle tour ends in the old coastal village of Muggia. Park your bikes and take the shuttle boat (excl.) to the port city of Trieste and visit Miramare Castle, the cathedral or Piazza Unita, where you can enjoy the Italian flair over a cappuccino or gelato with a view of the Bay of Trieste.
You cycle mainly on side roads with little traffic, sometimes on cycle paths and good gravel roads. When entering and leaving the city, you will also cycle on roads with more traffic. The route is slightly hilly to undulating.
Prices and dates
Category: 3***- and 4****-hotels and guest houses
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Luggage transfer (1 piece of luggage per person, max. 23 kg)
- 1 transfer Bled – Pokljuka incl. bike
- 1 transfer Tolmin – Kolovrat Saddle incl. bike
- App for Navigation and GPS-data
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax
- Printed travel documents (German, English), costs EUR 30 per package
- Ljubljana airport – Bled EUR 89 per transfer (for 1-3 persons), EUR 119 per transfer (for 4-8 persons)
- Trieste airport – Bled EUR 249 per transfer (for 1-3 persons), EUR 319 per transfer (for 4-8 persons)
- Klagenfurt airport – Bled EUR 199 per transfer (for 1-3 persons), EUR 239 per transfer (for 4-8 persons)
- Bled train station – Bled centre EUR 25 per transfer (for 1-3 persons), EUR 35 per transfer (for 4-8 persons)
- Muggia – Trieste airport EUR 159 per transfer (for 1-3 persons), EUR 189 per transfer (for 4-8 persons)
- Reservation required, payable in advance
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Bled train station
- Ljubljana, Trieste or Klagenfurt airport
Things to note
- Minimum number of participants: 2 persons
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- This tour is a partner tour.