Best of Holland, MS Magnifique II
Holland's green heart
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Embarkation and check-in in the center of Amsterdam at 1 pm. At 2 pm the ship will leave Amsterdam and you will go to Zaandam. In Zaandam, the ship moors in the center of the city or near the open-air museum Zaanse Schans. Bikes will be handed out and you can go for a short ride to get used to your rental bike or to scope out the area.
After breakfast it is time to start your first bike tour. You will cycle to the open-air museum Zaanse Schans for a short visit. Continue cycling through small villages in the beautiful wetlands of Waterland to Volendam (2 cycling options – shorter and longer). The ship sails via Amsterdam to Volendam. The late afternoon, dinner, evening and night will be spent on board the boat in Volendam, which is a small and picturesque fishing harbor on the shores of the Lake IJsselmeer.
After breakfast, you will take the ferry for a half hour crossing from Volendam to the former island of Marken. Visit this nice, authentic village and continue cycling along the coastline towards IJburg, a new and modern part of Amsterdam that was recently built on reclaimed land from the sea. From thereon you’ll cycle to the historical town of Muiden with its 14th Century castle on the waterfront. Your cycling tour ends in the nearby village of Weesp, where the ship is moored. Around 4 pm the ship departs for Vianen and you can enjoy a three course dinner while cruising. Evening and night on board in Vianen, a small fortified town on the lower Rhine River.
After breakfast it is time to get back on the saddle. Or not, because if you opt for the longer tour, you will start cycling straight from Vianen along the River Lek (lower Rhine) to Schoonhoven. In the meantime, the ship will sail to Schoonhoven, also called the ‘Silver City’, where the shorter cycling tour shall start. The next (or first, depending on what option you choose) part of today’s cycling tour goes from Schoonhoven through the Alblasserwaard polder to Alblasserdam, where you will take the Waterbus ferry to Dordrecht. Dordrecht, or Dordt as it is called by insiders, is one of the oldest Dutch cities, on the conjunction of 3 major rivers. In the evening, after dinner, you can join for a short city walk. The night will be in Dordrecht on board the ship.
Once you’ve finished breakfast you will return to Alblasserdam by Waterbus. This is where a short cycling tour starts to the famous 19 windmills of Kinderdijk (UNESCO World Heritage site). It is known as one of the Netherlands' most photogenic sights. You can have a look around one of the windmills and the visitor center. Continue cycling to Gouda, Holland's cheese and candle capital. Enjoy this beautiful historical city, the old market square and the Cheese Weighing House during the afternoon and evening. This evening's dinner is not included, so you will enjoy a wonderful meal in one of Gouda's many restaurants. We have various restaurant recommendations available on board. You spend the night aboard the barge in Gouda. Optional bike tour: an additional afternoon circular tour from/to Gouda: 20-25 km.
Today’s bike tour starts in Gouda and shows you the typical scenery of the so-called Green Heart of Holland with green landscapes, wide views, small canals and tiny lakes – all located below sea level! The optional longer bike tour goes via Leiden, the birthplace of renowned painter Rembrandt and residence of the oldest university of the Netherlands. Both bike tours end in Oude Wetering. Dinner, evening and night on board the ship in this small village.
After breakfast, you’ll start your last bike ride from Oude Wetering along the Amstel River via Ouderkerk aan de Amstel into Amsterdam. En route you can visit a cheese and clog farm, where you can taste (and shop for) some cheeses. The Amstel River is the eponym of Amsterdam. For the optional shorter cycling tour you can stay on board for the first part and cross Lake Westeinder. Start your bike tour in the outskirts of Amsterdam, ride through the Amsterdamse Bos (forest area) and the Vondelpark. Dinner, evening and night on board in Amsterdam. In the evening you can join the boat tour through the canals of old Amsterdam (UNESCO cultural heritage). A wonderful end to your trip!
After breakfast it is time to check-out and disembark. Please do so before 9am.
Easy cycle rides on predominantly flat and tarmac paths. This makes the tour suitable even for untrained cyclists. You cycle no further than 50km each day.
- Tour and accommodation on board in the booked category
- Full board; 7x breakfast, 6x picnic lunch during bike tours, 6x three course dinner (dinner in Gouda is not included);
- Use of bed linen and towels (change of towels daily possible)
- Cleaning of the cabin
- Welcoming drink and speech on the first evening;
- 2 Tour leaders (multilingual) with daily briefings of the bike tours, some short city tours (free)
- Daily fully guided bike
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily bike tours, 1 set per cabin
- GPS tracks
- Complimentary coffee and tea.
- Visit: mill at Zaanse Schans, Dutch cheese farm, St. Johns church in Gouda
- Entrance: "This is Holland" a unique flying experience
- Bike rental insurance €10/week, for e-bikes €25/week. Risk and limitation of liability in the case of damage or loss of the rental bike by you.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- For example: Parking Oosterdok www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl/english, economy fare approx. € 20.-/24 h. No reservation possible.
- Return transfer by train from Bruges to Amsterdam approx. 40 € per person
Number of participants:
- min. 24 participants
- Further important information according to the package travel law and additional information about your bike and boat trip can be found here!
- The use of your own bike is limited due to space on deck! Please specify when booking whether your own bike is an electric or normal bike.
- The owner of the ship, the crew, the tour guide and the organiser are not liable for the damage or theft of own bicycle
MS Magnifique II
During this tour by bike & barge with the MS Magnifique II you can enjoy the most beautiful art cities of Flanders: Brussels, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges are wonderful and interesting historical cities.