Sportive along river Danube
As you like it.
- 6 Days / 5 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau, the three rivers town , which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
Hotel (example) Schärding / Passau:
You will cycle along the river Inn to the city of three rivers, Passau. Here, we recommend a short city tour or a visit to the cathedral, where you can listen to the largest church organ in the world (not on Sundays or bank holidays). Then, you will continue your journey along the Danube via Obernzell to Engelhartszell where you will find the only Trappist monastery in Austria. You will cycle through the nature reserve Donauleiten and reach the Schlögen bend on its northern side. Here, the granite stone was too hard an opponent and the Danube had to make a 180° turn. You will have time to watch this natural phenomenon during a ferry ride to the other side of the river, where you will find your hotel.
Today you cycle through the green part of the Eferdinger Becken (basin) via Aschach, Ottensheim, and Wilhering to the Upper Austrian capital Linz. Following the motto, “In Linz beginnt’s” (“It starts in Linz”) you can begin your city tour in one of the many restaurants in the historic old town. Further highlights of the European culture capital of 2009 are the magnificent views from the Pöstlingberg or a stroll along the Danube. Later, you will continue your trip towards Strudengau and Nibelungengau to Grein and its surroundings.
From the Baroque town of Grein, with the oldest city theatre in Austria, you will ride your bike down the river. In Melk, you should make sure that you stop briefly to have a look up. Otherwise you may miss the beautiful Melk abbey, which towers above the Danube. Then, you will cycle via the wine towns of Spitz and Weißenkirchen and past the ruins of the castle Dürnstein to your hotel in Krems. Today, we will organise wine tasting for you, which is a must during a visit to the Wachau region!
From the 1,000-year-old city Krems, you will cycle via Traismauer and visit the Roman town of Tulln. Here, you can enjoy the tranquility and culture (e.g. with a visit to the Egon Schiele museum) of the rural area again before you get to the Danube's metropolis, Vienna. Enjoy a cup of “Verlängerter” coffee and a piece of the famous cake Sachertorte in one of the typical Viennese coffee houses. Another suggestion is to visit the main attractions of the city by taking a ride with one of the famous “Fiaker” (horse-drawn carriages).
Flat or slightly downhill along the Danube. Well-built bike path that is off-road almost all of the time. Minor roads make up only very short sections of the route – the Danube cycle path is a perfect bike path.
Category A: 4****-hotels or the best local hotels
Category B: 4****- and 3***-hotels
Category C: 3***-hotels and inns, at Linz and Vienna 4****-hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, Frensh) with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1 ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- 1 wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer with van from Vienna, daily in the afternoon. Costs € 59 per person, bike included, reservation necessary, payable at the time
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Schärding and Passau train station
- Munich and Vienna airport
- Schärding: Free public car park on the Eurobike premises directly on the cycle path.
- Passau: Public car park approx. € 35 per week, no reservation possible/necessary
- Good train connections between Vienna and Schärding/Passau
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- When booking, please inform us about where you wish to arrive
- Weather warranty/Spring and autumn special: Tour bookings with arrival within season 1 can be rebooked free of charge up to 5 working days prior to arrival in case of bad weather