Eastern Friesland Island Hopping
Borkum – Norderney – Langeoog.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Emden
Welcome briefing in the early evening; afterwards you receive your rental bikes. You will have enough time to discover Emden with its harbour, the arte hall and the “Otto” house.
Excursion to Borkum
By ferry in two hours to the island of Borkum, biggest Eastern Friesland Island with offshore climate. Explore the island on 130 km bike paths or cycle along the 28 km long sandy beach. Relaxation pure! In the late afternoon you go back to Emden where you stay overnight again.
You cycle to picturesque fisher village Greetsiel, the biggest crab-fisher port of Weser-Ems region. Don’t pass by without having a couple of fresh shrimps. Past the bay of Ley – where you might be lucky to spot seals – you cycle to Norden.
By ferry in one hour to the island of Norderney which is the oldest health‐bath on the North Sea and has been sought after for more than 200 years by persons looking for recuperation. This island is ideally suited to be explored by bicycle. Enjoy the island, the beach‐life and National Park Wattenmeer (mud‐flats).
Along old fortresses you cycle to Dornum with its beautiful water castle and on to Bensersiel. From there you go by ferry to the island of Langeoog. Enjoy your two overnights on this car‐free island!
Island Day Langeoog
Traffic jams, exhaust gases, chorus of horns – all these things you won’t find on the car-free island Langeoog, where singer Lale Andersen (Lili Marleen) used to live. Whereas unique sand dunes which are sometimes over 20 metres high, healthy air and … of course lots of opportunities for cycling, sunbathing and hiking on the beach.
Back to the mainland by ferry. From Bensersiel you cycle to Aurich, former capital of Eastern Friesland. You keep going along the Ems jade canal which leads you nearly car-free to Emden.
Departure or extension
Eastern Friesland and the islands are perfect areas for cycling. All routes are completely flat! You cycle mainly on asphalted or plastered country lanes, sometimes on minor roads. This tour is adequate for beginners or bike groups. All ferries with bikes are included in the price.
Category: 3*** and 4**** hotels, guesthouses and country houses
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast or extensive breakfast
- Personal welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Ferry Emden – Borkum, Norddeich – Norderney and Benersiel – Langeoog (ferry Langeoog only 1 x luggage piece possible), bike included
- Own signposting
- GPS data is available on request
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / parking / departure:
- Emden train station
- Bremen and Hamburg airport
- Public park house (next to the watertower) in Emden approx. EUR 12 - EUR 20 per week
- Free parking at the hotel or close to the hotel
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!