Island of Rügen
To sea air and beach chairs.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Travellers are responsible for their own transportation to Stralsund. We will hand over your rental bicycles to you there. The Hanseatic city of Stralsund with its beautiful architecture and town houses is a great place to stroll around and to prepare for the tour ahead
Cycle or take the ferry across the sound to Altefähr. Today’s leg of the tour takes you through southwest Rügen and partly along Vorpommersche Boddenlandschaft National Park - a paradise for indigenous birds. Continue on to the centre of the island.
You may want to start your day with a stroll through Bergen. Continue on tree-lined avenues, through forest until you reach Putbus- a former resort town and residential palace. Cycle along the bay called ‘Greifswalder Bodden’ on your way to the resort towns.
Tranquility, fine sand beaches, cliffs, dreamy fishing villages, and pine forest characterize the Mönchgut Peninsula. Fishermen and farmers have made this place the jewel it is today.
Continue today through Granitz, past the famous hunting château and on to Binz. Then, cycle along the bay towards Jasmund National Park via Prora. The most famous point of interest is the chalk cliffs which Caspar David Friedrich so amazingly portrayed on canvas.
Discover the district of Stubbenkammer, enjoy the panoramic views of sea and land, and admire the Wissower Klinken chalk cliffs which rise over 100 m / 328 ft.
Cross the spit of land between sea and bay on your way to the peninsula of Wittow - most northern part of the island. Take the ferry to the island of Hiddensee. It is definitely worth an excursion to the lighthouse called ‘der Dornbusch’, which is over 60 m / 197 ft tall. In the afternoon, take the ferry over the Strelasund to Stralsund.
The tour is almost flat throughout, smaller elevations in between are easy to master. There is a lot of cycling on little frequented side roads, always with as little traffic as possible. The surface on this tour often changes between asphalt and sandy soil. Even on unpaved roads.
Category A: 3***- and 4****-Hotels
Category B: 2**- and 3***-Hotels and Pensions
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, Dutch with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1x Boat ride Rügen – Hiddensee incl. your bike
- 1x boat ride Hiddensee – Stralsund incl. your bike
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Train ticket Göhren – Binz / Göhren – Sellin, approx. EUR 2 to 7 per person incl. bike
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Stralsund train station
- Hamburg or Berlin airport
- Car park at the office costs EUR 3 per day
- Car park at the hotel approx. EUR 6 to 20 per day, no reservation possible, to be paid for at the time.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!