Chur - Basel
Rhine Cycle Path
- 9 Days / 8 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Chur
Chur is the oldest city in Switzerland. Its history can be tracked back over 11000 years. Stroll through the small alleys in the old town.
First you will take to train to Disentis. From there you will follow the Anterior Rhine through the Surselva Valley. The official language in this region is Swiss Rhaeto-Romance. The impressive landscape of the Ruinaulta was formed by a large landslide thousands of years ago. The Rhine had to find a new route through the rubble and fallen rock – the result of which is the Rhine canyon with white steep walls and peaceful lakes along the swirling waters of the river.
You will soon cross the Principality of Liechtenstein and get to the Austrian medieval town of Feldkirch.
Along the Rhine to Altstätten and from there by rack railway to Gais in the Appenzell region. You cycle along picture-book mountain pastures with happy cows to St. Gallen.
Downhill to Arbon where you reach Lake Constance. You cycle through the Canton of Thurgau with its huge apple orchards. The route takes you through small villages to Constance.
Along the Lower Lake through fishing towns to the well-known city of Stein am Rhein. From there you follow the Rhine to Schaffhausen.
First highlight is the visit of the Rhine Falls near Schaffhausen. On your way to Waldshut-Tiengen you will be delighted by the Rheinau monastery, picturesquely located on an island.
Via Laufenburg you reach Bad Säckingen where you find the longest covered wooden bridge. Along the Rhine to Rheinfelden, from where you take the train to Basel.
Mostly dedicated cycle paths and quiet side roads, sometimes hilly, sometimes level ground. Especially on the first section often unpaved. A basic level of fitness is recommended.
Category: Hotels of national 3***-Niveau
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, Dutch, French, Italian with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Train journey from Chur to Disentis incl. bike
- 1 Train journey from Altstätten to Glais incl. bike
- 1 Train journey from Rheinfelden to Basel incl. bike
- 1 Boat ride to Rheinfallfelsen
- 1 Entrance Rosgartenmuseum Constance incl. one cup of coffee
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Chur train station
- Zurich and Basel airport
- Public car par approx CHF 10 to CHF 20 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- You can book extra nights for any day of your tour. Prices upon request!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!