Merano - Lake Garda
From the Alps to the Lago.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Take the train line ‘Vinschgaubahn’ towards the mountain pass ‘Reschenpass’. From the town of Mals onwards to Glurns (perfectly preserved Medieval city wall). Via the Montani ruins past Schlanders and heading south to Merano. Castles and palaces dot your way or tower high above (i.e. Juval castle owned by the Austrian mountaineer Reinhold Messner). While cycling enjoy marvellous views of the impressive ‘Ortler’ massif and the ’Stilfserjoch’. This stage can be shortened if you wish.
Sample hotel: Siegler im Thurm
Via Lana (Schnatterpeck altar) and through numerous orchards and vineyards in the area of the South Tyrolian wine route, past several well-fortified castles, palaces and ruins onwards to Eppan and along the base of Sigmundskron castle (Messner-Mountain museum) to Bolzano (pergolas, ‘Ötzi’ museum).
Sample hotel: Scala Stiegl
From Auer you continue on the cycle path along the Adige dam. The ‘Salurner Klause’ is the end of the German speaking part of South Tyrol. The route leads you through the famous Trentino wine regions into the ancient diocesan town Trento (lovely old part of town, cathedral, Buonconsiglio palace).
Sample hotel: NH Trento
Shortly after the old Tyrolian border town of Rovereto, our cycling tour leaves the Adige valley. In Mori you will taste the world famous pistachio ice-cream in the Gelateria Bologna. After the only ascent worth mentioning (approx. 150 m)over the small San Giovanni pass, the path leads downhill along the lake towards Torbole. The cycle tour either ends in Riva or Torbole.
Sample hotel: Caravel
Departure or extension
An easy cycle tour, mainly on cycle paths. Only towards lake Caldaro and lake Garda will you come across minor ascents.
Category: 3*** hotels and 4**** hotels
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route descriptions, local attractions, important phone numbers)
- 1 Train journey with the ‘Vinschgaubahn’ to Mals incl. your bike
- 1 Pistachio ice-cream on the way to Lake Garda
- EUROBIKE signposting
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Meran every Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning and Tuesday (occasionally) afternoon, costs EUR 59 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for at the time, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Merano train station
- Verona airport
- Public car park close to the hotel costs approx. € 30 per week, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible
- Public bus to Rovereto and train journey to Meran
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Also available as a family tour
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!