Villach - Grado - Trieste
The Alpe-Adria-Tour II.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Villach
You leave Villach by cycling along the Gail river. Before you know it you leave Austria and will be welcomed into Italy. In the triangle of Italy, Austria and Slovenia sprawls the canal valley and the Italian city of Tarvis builds the centre of it. Austrians, Slovenians and Italians have all been living here for centuries and, all three big European families of languages – Germans, Romans and Slavs – are meeting up here.
Continuing through the valley you admire the beauty of this alpine region with intact and untouched nature and forests to Maggio.
Wine determines this route. Hills with grape-vines are accompanying you and inviting for a wine tasting. Venetian coined Udine airs silence and considerateness. During a coffee on the “Piazza” or a stroll through the inner city you can admire the great gothic and renaissance buildings.
Accompanied by the breeze of Scirocco you will go past landscapes with reed and water canals all the way to Grado, which is an historic fishing harbour and popular bathing resort on the Adriatic coastline.
Today you are spoilt for choice! You can either have an exciting day in Aquileia along the tracks of the Romans or you can have a relaxing day by the sea. Discover the secrets of the “second Rome” – roman ruins, ancient churches and lonesome landscapes. Alternatively you can enjoy the warm sun in the lagoon whilst sitting on a beach that runs for miles in a deckchair.
The karst accompanies you through the back country on your way to the Adriatic Sea. You follow a breathtaking beautiful coastal area. Palace Miramare is well-worth a visit before you reach the former Habsburg city, Trieste. The old harbour and trading town is a worthy finish of this bike tour. Optional: it’s possible to shorten the stage by continuing by train from Monfalcone (about 42 km + train ride, ticket not included)
Departure or extension
Easy bike tour on bike paths or along quiet side roads through small villages and idyllic landscapes. We recommend this tour for children aged 14 years or older.
Category: 3*** hotels, partly 4**** hotels
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Personal tour information (GE, EN, IT)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well-developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (GE, EN, IT with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Service hotline
- Return transfer by minibus to Villach every Wednesday and Saturday, costs € 59 per person incl. your bike, reservation is necessary, min. 2 persons
Arrival / Parking /Departure:
- Villach train station
- Klagenfurt, Salzburg or Ljubljana airport
- Parking space at the hotel or near the hotel. Public car park garage costs about €35 per week. A reservation is not possible, pay there.
- Good train connection between Trieste and Villach
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!