Arrival in La Rochelle
Enjoy the charms of the old city bathed with warm and sweet lights, with its old towers, remains from the old defensive walls.
From the famous towers of La Rochelle harbour, ride along the cycling path by the ocean leading to Châtelaillon-Plage, a seaside city. Then you will reach the astonishing city of Rochefort, following the river banks of the Charente.
Then you will ride along a cycling path to the salt pan crossed by several small canals. Marennes is the first oyster farming pool in Europe: a perfect stopover to discover regional food!
Continue your journey between salt pans and the Seudre estuary. After Palmyre, "the Coast of Beauty" is a spectacular step thanks to an amazing cycling path with a sea view until Royan and its Belle Epoque villas.
On a nice shaded cycling track along the sea, your journey will take you from paths to small roads before getting to Talmont sur Gironde, known as one of the 'most beautiful village in France'. Then you will ride until Mortagne-sur-Gironde harbour.
The numerous small marinas along the river banks of the Gironde are perfect stopping places. You will join Blaye by a beautiful cycling path and will leave Charent Maritime to continue the route of the channel of 2 seas in Gironde.
Cross the Gironde estuary to join Lamarque and the region of the Médoc and its famous vineyards. You will reach the heart of Bordeaux, riding along small roads in the middle of the vineyard.
You cycle primarily on well-developed cycle paths, partially there are also segments on grit ways. The stages are generally hilly, with several climbs on stages 1 and 4.
Category A: 3*** and 4**** hotels (French classification)
Category B: 2** and 3*** hotels (French classification)
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, French with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Ferry ride on day 6
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Return transfer by minibus to La Rochelle, price EUR 480 for up to 8 persons, additionally transportation of your own bike EUR 15 per bike, reservation necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- La Rochelle train station
- Bordeaux airport
- Hotel car park costs € 9 per day or free parking on public car park close to the hotel
- Good train connections from Bordeaux to La Rochelle
Things to note:
Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!