Dolomites - Trieste
Nearly like in the emperor times.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Individual arrival to your starting hotel in the “Hochpustertal”.
From the water-shed of the rivers Drau and Rienz on Toblach saddle you cycle downhill from South Tyrol along river Drau to Lienz in East Tyrol. Impressive summits of the Dolomites seam the way.
After a short transfer on Gailberg Pass (350 m/5 km) a comfortable downhill section brings you to Kötschach Mauthen. Follow the Gailtal Valley cycle path along the Carnic Ridge, pass Hermagor and take a bath in Pressegger Lake. Overnight stay is in Feistritz.
You cycle to the Italian boarder and continue on the cycle path. Soon you leave Italy and reach Slovenia. Past the well-known skiing area Kranjska Gora the cycle path winds through marvellous, mainly unspoilt nature. Today you have also the possibility to short the stage at 10 km. Spend the evening on the idyllic lake of Bled.
After a transfer across the pass you reach Soca valley, well known for the exiting canoeing and adventure sports. In Kobarid you get a historic review of the dreadful battles during World War I. After that all lovers of fine food and wine can enjoy themselves. Historic city Cividale invites to stroll around. Not only the Devil’s Bridge is well worth a visit, a number of cultures as e.g. Goths, Langobards and Francs left their traces.
On your way through Collio Goriziano, centre of the Friulian wine-growing area, many wine-cellars invite to stop and taste the first rate wines. After some small hills we come to Gradisca. We recommend ambitious cyclists doing a longer tour via Udine. The most important city in the historic region of Friuli-Julitsch Venetian is a visit worth it!
Der Karst begleitet uns auf dem Weg zum Adriatischen Meer und die Schlösser Duino und Miramare laden zu einem Besuch ein, bevor wir in die ehemalige Habsburgerstadt Triest einfahren.
Departure or extension
Individual departure or the possibility for additional nights in Trieste.
The cycle tour to Trieste is easy, even with the rather longer first two days. At the first day you cycle about 65 km with a height difference of approx. 600 m, always slightly downhill along river Drau. At the second day the distance can be shortened by train. This cycle path is very convenient to children who are 14 years or older.
Category: 3*** hotels, partly 4**** hotels
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or extended breakfast
- Personal tour information
- Luggage transfer from hotel to hotel
- Detailed documentation (maps, route description, points of interest, important phone numbers)
- Transfer by minibus from Oberdrauburg to Gailberg pass
- Train ticket Bled – Most na Soci or rather Canale ob Soci (alternative 2 ON in Bled)
- GPS-data available
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Train station Niederdorf and Toblach
- Airport Treviso and Venice Marco Polo, onwards with a transfer by shuttlebus from Venice in the valley “Hochpustertal” (Niederdorf/Toblach) every Saturday and additionally Wednesdays in June, July and August, costs per person € 65,- incl. your bike, reservation is necessary, payable in advance
- Free car park in Hochpustertal valley (Niederdorf/Toblach) near your hotel.
- Return transfer from Trieste to valley Hochpustertal by shuttle bus each Saturday, additional Tuesday in June, July and August, cost € 69,- per person (incl. bicycle), reservation is necessary, payable in advance. Minimum number of participants on Tuesdays: 4 persons; minimum number of participants on Saturdays: 2 persons.
- Good train connection between Trieste and Hochpustertal (daily, departure at approx. 6.40am.