Arrival in Olhão
Individual arrival to Faro.
Your first bike trip takes you through the unique lagoon landscape of the Ria Formosa, which was formed in 1755 by an earth- and seaquake. You will arrive in the small trading town Tavira, which was already established in the Phoenician time, with its surrounding salt flats and salt meadows. Later, you cycle back to the hotel.
Along the coast, the path leads to Faro where you have time for the beautiful historic old town by the sea. Flourishing citrus, orange, almond and fig trees accompany you on your bike ride to Estoi. After a coffee break in the magnificent Palacio (today luxury hotel), you cycle back to Olhão.
A short train ride will take you to Faro. Your bike ride through woodland and golf complexes follows the course of the coast to the beautiful beaches of Quarteira and Vilamura. By train, you will arrive in Poço Barreto and cycle the last kilometres to your hotel Suites Alba (five stars, four nights).
You leave the coast and, accompanied by the scent of orange and lemon groves, you reach the Moorish Silves. In the early afternoon, you arrive back in your hotel and have time for a swim.
The Ecovia Litoral takes you through former fishing villages and seaside resorts that alternate with dune landscapes and bizarre rock cliffs. Albufeira’s white old town invites you to stroll. Later, it goes back to the hotel.
In the morning, you cycle to the nice fishing village of Ferragudo. Behind Portimao, the “sardine capital“, you arrive at the spectacular rock beach Praia da Rocha. From Alvor, you cycle back to the hotel.
Departure or extension
The Algarve-bicycle-tour ends after breakfast.
Field ways, secondary roads and new cycle paths (mostly unpaved) will lead you on the cycle route called Ecovia Litoral. The terrain is mostly flat but sometimes also slightly hilly at the coastal landscape and in the hinterland. At day 5 one longer increase of approx. 100m in height.
Category A: Real Marina Hotel & Spa 5***** and Suites Alba Resorts 5*****
Category B: Real Marina Hotel & Spa 5***** and Hotel Vale del Rei 4****
- Overnight stay in the chosen category
- Luggage transfer
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English,) with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone
- GPS tracks available
- Service hotline
- Dinner when halfboard is booked
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Airport Faro
- With Taxi to the hotel, costs approx. € 25,- (to be organised by your own)
- Ride back from Praia da Albandeira to the airport in Faro approx. € 65,- / Taxi, duration approx. 1 hour (to be organised by your own)
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!