Villach - Grado - Trieste
Cycle your way from Carinthia to dreamy Italy
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Villach
You leave Villach along the river Gail and in a little while you leave Austria and welcome Italy. In the triangle of Italy, Austria and Slovenia sprawls the canal valley, the Italian city of Tarvis builds the centre of it. Austrians, Slovenians and Italians are living here next to each other since centuries, so all three big European families of languages – Germans, Romans and Slavs – are meeting up here.
In Italy too the cycle path is perfectly developed and hence allows you to leisurely cycle downhill through the Kanaltal-valley and from your bike marvel at the beauty of the Friulian alpine region with its intact, unspoilt nature and extensive forests. Your Day Finish is one of the picturesque villages located at the foothills of the Julian Alps.
At the Southern exit of the Kanaltal-valley is the location of one of the most beautiful historic villages of the Friulian-Julian-Veneto. The focus of the village of Gemona del Friuli is the majestic cathedral Santa Maria Assunta and will blow you away. En route to Udine you come across the first vineyards and vines along the cycle route. Once you arrive in town feel and experience the ‚dolce vita‘ over a coffee enjoyed on the ‚Piazza‘ or during a stroll through the alleyways whilst marvelling at the late Gothic and Renaissance architecture.
Feel the warm breeze of the sirocco! You cycle through vast reed scenery and along little water canals towards the Gulf of Venice. In the Roman city of Aquileia, the so-called ‚second Rome‘, we recommend you definitely plan a break before reaching the end destination of your holiday. One of the most popular Adriatic beach resorts, the historic little fishing town Grado, will not only excite you with the extensive sandy beach, but also the historic harbour and the narrow alleyways with lovely restaurants all ooze Italian flair.
For now you leave the coast behind and cycle across the rough Karst plateau towards the Gulf of Trieste. Back at the sea you are accompanied by breathtakingly stunning coastal scenery and the world-famous Miramare palace is yet another highlight of today’s cycling tour. The time-honoured harbour town Trieste is a worthy finale to your holiday.
Departure or extension
You mainly cycle on well-developed cycle paths and quiet side roads. Only a few sections lead you also along roads with heavier traffic or on dirt paths. Overall the route leads you on slightly hilly terrain, with a longer ascent after Tarvis.
| Season 1 |
02.05.2021 - 22.05.2021
19.09.2021 - 04.10.2021
| Season 2 |
23.05.2021 - 17.06.2021
27.08.2021 - 18.09.2021
| Season 3 |
18.06.2021 - 26.08.2021
|Villach - Trieste, 7 days, AT-AARVT-07X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||239.00||239.00||239.00|
Category: 3*** hotels, in Villach and Trieste 4****-hotel
| Season 1 |
May 2, 2021 - May 22, 2021
Sep 19, 2021 - Oct 4, 2021
| Season 2 |
May 23, 2021 - Jun 17, 2021
Aug 27, 2021 - Sep 18, 2021
| Season 3 |
Jun 18, 2021 - Aug 26, 2021
|Extra night p.p. dbl/bb||65.00||65.00||65.00|
|Extra night sgl/bb||100.00||100.00||100.00|
|Extra night p.p. dbl/bb||99.00||99.00||99.00|
|Extra night sgl/bb||148.00||148.00||148.00|
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Return transfer by minibus to Villach every Saturday morning and Thursday morning in Season 3, costs per person EUR 85 incl. your bike, to be paid for in advance, reservation is necessary
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking /Departure:
- Train station Villach
- Airport Klagenfurt, Salzburg and Ljubljana
- Parking space at the hotel or near the hotel. Garage for about EUR 35 per week. A reservation is not possible, payable locally.
- The return journey by public transport is only possible with a change of trains
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!