Arrival in Bamberg
Arrive in Bamberg and check-in to your accommodation. The travel documents and rental bikes (if booked) will be in the hotel waiting for you. You should definitely go for a stroll In this UNESCO-world heritage town with a historical atmosphere. Go on one of the numerous family tours or have a go at the funny exploratory town tour! Clever kids visit the large natural history museum! It is especially lovely to have a look at the town whilst on a fun boat trip.
Bamberg – Haßfurt
You set off along the Regnitz. Cycle past the Erba park with its water playground until you reach the river Main. The River Main will be your loyal tour guide from now on. You can discover the first vineyards on the edge of the cycle path. There are plenty of places for you to stop for a swim on your way today, whether you stop at Sander Baggersee (lake) or at the outdoor pool in Eltmann. It is definitely worth admiring the lovely timbered houses in the little wine town. You cycle via Zell to get to Haßfurt where you can have a look at the ‘Ritterkapelle’ (a chapel).
Haßfurt – Schweinfurt
You have got time to spend at Haßfurt’s waterpark because you have got a very leisurely stage today. You will cycle through the wonderful nature in the Main valley past vineyards, orchards and lush green floodplains. Take a rest in one of the pretty settlements like Theres, Ottendorf or Gädheim and enjoy some of the regional culinary specialities. Today’s destination is the old free city of Schweinfurt. Here it is worth visiting the large wildlife park together with the Indian village.
In the morning you can take a stroll through the charmingly restored old town. Then you shall get back on your bikes and continue on your way. You will cycle past fruity vineyards, through the Schweinfurt basin and the Garstedter forest nature protection area. In Bergrheinfels you can take a break from cycling and walk bare foot through the labyrinth. Alternatively, you could cross the river Main and relax on the sandy beach by the natural bathing lake in Grafenrheinfeld. You then continue through Fahr and to the main town by the Volkacher Main meander. Who comes early enough can canoe on the River Main into the sun sets.
You continue cycling to Nordheim. You are sure to have some time for the history of lots of the types of wine. You should also visit the grape adventure path. You go around the Kreuzberg and then continue through the Sommerach until you get to Schwarzach. Families with an interest in culture can visit the famous Münsterschwarzach Benedictine abbey. Continue through the wonderful nature and past Dettelbach with its well maintained town wall. Those who want to have a go in the bike park should take a break here. In Kitzingen, where you are staying tonight, there is an outdoor swimming pool with an 80m long water slide.
Today is your last day’s cycling and you will go past Sommerhausen with a great zoo and past the town of the towers, Ochsenfurth. Dip your feet in the ‘Main Insel’ pool before cycling on to Marktbreit. Here there are also many timbered houses and historical buildings that you can admire. Next, you cycle on to Eibelstadt where you can trace the exciting history of the ‘lying stones’. At the end of your tour along the Main you will arrive in Würzburg. The old Main bridge and Marienberg fortress are worth a visit. There sure is a lot for families to explore here: city tours for children, play areas, botanic garden, indoor playground (Kinderland), water park and much more.
Departure or extension
Today you end your diverse cycle tour with the River Main. Or, would you like to extend the holiday and spend some time by vineyards that are growing in the Main floodplain?
The continuously signposted Main cycle path mainly runs on cycle paths running right by the river bank or along quiet little roads. There are only very few, short sections where there might be more traffic.
Category: 3***-hotels and guesthouses
Child prices valid if they are staying in same room as 2 full price adults. Charges for children under 6 (for example Child bed) to be paid for at the time.
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel information 1 x per room with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Fly to Nürnberg and then take the train for about an hour to get to Bamberg.
- Take the train to Bamberg and then it is a short bus ride for about EUR 2 per person or a taxi for about EUR 12 to the hotel. To be paid for at the time.
- Parking: public garage in Bamberg costs about EUR 40 per week. To be paid for at the time. No reservation possible. Free outdoor parking available on the edge of the town with good bus connections into the centre.
- Return by train. Roughly 1 hour to Bamberg. Approx. EUR 20 per person. To be paid for at the time.
- No minimum age.
- Requirements: Basic fitness cycle skills. A very easy route ideal for families.
- The continuously signposted Main cycle path mainly runs on cycle paths running right by the river bank or along quiet little roads. There are only very few, short sections where there might be more traffic.