Well, if the Emperor chose to holiday here…
He would surely have known beauty! Yes! The Austrian Emperor Franz Josef knew something beautiful indeed. His wife, Empress Sisi was the most beautiful woman in Europe at the time. And even when choosing his holiday, the monarch showed his good taste. Dreamy landscapes, the famous sparkling lakes and historic villages on their banks are the charms of the Salzkammergut, and mange to inspire a crowd of holidaymakers to this day. Friendly locals, cheerful colourful traditional dress, hearty Austrian delicacies, beautiful cycle paths along the lakes and a landscape that not only enchants, but almost beguiles…yes what more could you want?
Ten Lakes Tour
The mother of all original Eurobike tours is still one of our bestsellers. What can we say? Quality sells. Cycle from Salzburg or the Trumer lakes through the beautiful Salzkammergut and enjoy the historic charm that follows you in this area at every turn.
- All further details about the Ten Lakes & Sound of Music Tour can be found here.
The Lakes Tour with Charm
And for those of you who would like to have a little more fun, we have the lakes tour with charm on offer. Selected hotels of the charm category make this bike trip with an extra dose of comfort, elegance and taste even more attractive than it already is.
- Inquire today about our Lakes Tour with Charm.
Salzkammergut centre-based tour
The charming Hotel Goiserer Mühle in the beautiful Bad Goisern, in the heart of the Salzkammergut, is the host for this 7-day cycle tour. Visit the Imperial Villa in Bad Ischl, let yourself be spoiled in the famous ‘Weißen Rössl’ on the Wolfgangsee and marvel at the Charnel House in Hallstatt. All this and much more promises an unforgettable cycling holiday in the Salzkammergut.
- Got the taste for it? Find out more about the Salzkammergut centre-based tour.
Salzburg's Lake District centre-based tour
The cosy Hotel Walkner in Seeham on the Obertrumer See will warmly welcome you to the Lakes centre-based tour. From here you travel star-shaped into the beautiful Salzburg Lake District. Salzburg city, Mondsee, Michaelbeuern…there is definitely something for you.
- Read all the beautiful details about the Salzburg's Lake District centre-based tour here.
On this cycle tour you will visit the crème de la crème of the Salzkammergut. Wolfgangsee, Mondsee, Traunsee, Bad Aussee and Bad Ischl! So much culture and beauty is hard to believe. Yes, you can do it! Have fun on this great cycle tour.
- All the great details about the Salzkammergut tour are here.
Ten Lakes Bike Tour for Families
Can you bring the kids to the beautiful Salzkammergut? Of course, we also have an offer than is suitable for the entire family. The stages have been adapted for children, but will please young and old.
- Here you can read all the information about the Ten Lakes cycle tour for families.
The climate in the Salzkammergut
In order to enjoy the lush green meadows in the beautiful Salzkammergut, you have to water them every now and then. And we do that. The area is not only known for its beautiful landscape, but also for the so-called Salzburg ‘Schnülregen’. This is a drizzle that occurs in the Salzkammergut. But that does not diminish the joy of cycling because the hours of sunshine predominate. The summers in the stunning Salzkammergut are sunny and very warm. Often you can jump into the glistening lakes in May and the bathing season usually lasts well into September. Beautiful cycling days are therefore inevitable.
The delicious cuisine of the Salzkammergut
If you ask locals which food they would recommend in the Salzkammergut, you would surely get twenty different answers. Fish is probably the answer of many, because the lakes of the Salzkammergut are full of delicious freshwater fish. In the Salkammergut one understands how to prepare fish exceptionally well. As everywhere in Austria, you also eat desserts in the Salzkammergut, also as a main course. Marillenknödel (apricot dumplings), Germknödel (yeast dumplings similar to a steamed dumpling, filled with plum jam) or Eis-Palatschinken (thin pancake filled with vanilla ice-cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream) make every foodie’s heart beat faster. Don’t forget the Austrian classics. This includes, of course, the Wiener Schnitzel, a hearty beef goulash with bread dumplings, a tender Tafelspitz (boiled beef) or roast pork with potatoes, Stöcklkraut (white cabbage) and dumplings. Makes the mouth water…
- Bad Ischl – is considered the heart of the Salzkammergut. A visit to the Imperial Villa and Cafe Zauner is a must.
- St Wolfgang – a ride on the Schafbergbahn from St Wolfgang is one of the most beautiful highlights in the region. From the top of the Schafberg you have a breath taking view of 13 lakes!
- St Gilgen on the Wolfgangsee – the dreamy St Gilgen is also perfectly reachable by boat from St Wolfgang, Strobl or Abersee. The mother of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart came from here.
- Bad Aussee – the cradle of the Austrian traditional dress. Here the tradition is still alive. Bad Aussee during the daffodil festival is particularly recommended.
- Hallstatt – the village in the Salzakmmergut, which was recreated 1 to 1 in China, is visited daily be streams of tourists. It is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Hallstatt/Dachstein.
- Mondsee – the gateway to the Salzkammergut is known not only for the wonderfully colourful market place and the Sound of Music church, but also for the stilt culture from the lake Neolithic period – the so-called Mondsee culture.
- Attersee – the largest lake in the Salzkammergut captivates with its high water quality and in some places is almost reminiscent of the Caribbean.
- Salzburg – the Mozart city enchants thousands of tourists from all over the world every day. Rightly so! Anyone who has been to Salzburg for a while, will fall head over heels in love with this beautiful city.
The summer freshness
As a summer resort, the temporary relocation place of residence from the city to the countryside as it was known in the past. It was also known under the name ‘Sommerfrische’. The Salzkammergut was the Austrian summer resort par excellence. Austrian and international artists, politicians and quite simply all those who could afford to spent the beautiful summer months in the shade of the cool lakes. The most famous summer visitor was Emperor Franz Joseph I with his wife Empress Elisabeth. The Emperor spent 84 of his 86 birthdays in his summer residence in Bad Ischl. Even today, the city commemorates the emperor on his birthday with a lavish party in August, which lasts for a week. The residents of Bad Ischl dress up for this special occasion, clothes and uniforms from the past are displayed and there is a lot of nostalgia in the air. A spectacle for tourists and locals, that can’t be fast forgotten.
Did you know…
- …that former Chancellor Helmut Kohl had a big weakness for the Wolfgangsee? For over thirty years he holidayed in St. Gilgen.
- …that the Attersee is the largest lake in Austria? Lake Constance and Lake Neusiedl are larger, but are not exclusively located in Austria. Due to its steep banks, the Attersee has more water volume than the larger Chiemsee.
- …that the Salzburg Festival is considered the most important festival of classical music and performing arts in the world?
- …that there are 77 lakes in the Salzkammergut? Once a year, a meltwater lake is created in the Ebensee, which is generously called the 78th lake of the Salzkammergut.
- …that the Mondsee is privately owned?
- …that Salzburg is the most expensive city in Austria?
Perfectly organised cycling holidays in the Salzkammergut
A rickety bike underneath with two stuffed saddlebags, which serve as a suitcase, already lost three times because you don’t have decent maps, then there’s the search for a decent hotel…argh! No that’s just not possible.
Why not make it easier? Book with Eurobike! We take care of your concerns, book your hotels and provide you with perfectly prepared rental bikes. You will receive optimal map material from Bikeline and our reliable travel documents will guide you safely to your destination every day. And our luggage service does not care if you travel with one or five suitcases (as long as they do not weight more than 20kg), your luggage will be reliably delivered to your next hotel every day and will be waiting for you when you arrive at your accommodation. You see, there are some advantages! Try a tour with us!