Isar Cycle Path and Bavarian Lakes.
- 10 Days / 9 Nights
- Self-guided tour
From Munich, the tour starts with a bike ride through Forstenrieder Park to Lake Starnberg. From Starnberg, you will continue your tour on the bike path next to the lake to Ambach or even further to Bernried. Enjoy some time at the lake with its crystal clear waters and wonderful views of the surrounding mountains.
Hotel (example) Landhotel Huber am See
Today, you will cycle on scenic trails through unspoilt Bavarian villages, past the Osterseen lakes and Lake Riegsee to Murnau am Staffelsee. On the way, there are many lakes which invite you to swim. In Murnau not only the Münterhaus is worth a visit. The connection between art and music in this town has always characterized the people and architecture.
Hotel (example): Angerbräu
First, you will cycle through the nature reserve called Murnauer Moos (largest swamp area in Central Europe). Later, you will continue your tour through unspoilt nature following the river Loisach to Garmisch Partenkirchen. Take some time and stroll through the town centre with its world famous Ludwig Street (Ludwigstraße).
Hotel (example): Vier Jahreszeiten
Today you can take a ride on the cog railway up Germany’s highest mountain, the Zugspitze. You are to organise this yourself if you want to do so.
You will take the train to Scharnitz to bridge an altitude of 300 metres. From there, you will cycle uphill through wildly romantic gorges and lush meadows to the spring of the river Isar. Afterwards, you will cycle back through a sunny valley where you will have a marvellous panoramic view of the mountains of Karwendel and Wettersteingebirge, passing Mittenwald and finally arriving in Wallgau – a place where the Bavarian tradition is still a part of everyday life.
Hotel (example): Gasthof Post
Passing the Isarwinkel, you will follow the crystal-clear, turquoise waters of the impressive Lake Sylvenstein. Cycling through charming landscapes, you will pass Lenggries and finally arrive in Bad Tölz. Bad Tölz is situated at the crossroads of two trade routes - the river Isar and the old salt route from Reichenhall to Allgäu - quickly became a thriving trading centre. The ornate mansions testify the golden age.
Hotel (example): Kolberbräu
You will cycle through the scenic Tegernsee countryside to Gmund at Lake Tegernsee where you will have a beautiful panoramic view of the lake. Following the Gaißbach valley, you will come back to Bad Tölz. The thermal waters of the famous spa “Alpamare” will help you to refresh your tired muscles. The Tölzer Market Street invites you to learn more about the famous television series “Der Bulle von Tölz”.
Departure or extension
Overall, this is a rather easy tour. A few short climbs can be conquered easily by pushing the bike. You will cycle on beautiful bike ways and minor roads. Main roads will only be used for short distances. The route is mostly paved; some longer passages are on natural roads which are in good condition.
Category: 3*** hotels, Munich 4**** hotel
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet
- Welcome briefing (DE, EN)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (DE, EN, FR) with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1xTrain journey from Garmisch Partenkirchen – Scharnitz
- 1x veal sausage breakfast
- EUROBIKE signposting
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Munich central train station
- Munich airport
- Multi-storey car park costs approx. € 49 for 8 days and approx. € 59 for 10 days, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary
Free car park close to the hotel, no reservation possible/necessary
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Bike ticket for train journey to Garmisch – Scharnitz approx. € 5/bike
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!